{chapter one}

*special wattpad sample* 

*NOW PUBLISHED*

*www.bellajohnson.com*

 CHAPTER ONE

Colten Turner shuffled into the small stuffy bar, past the lonely drunks, past the giggling girls on the dance floor and over to his normal table of normal acquaintances.

He sat to a rickety stool, removing his white cowboy hat.

“Where have you been, Colt?”

“Hey, Pete.” He brushed the sweat that had collected under his hat from his forehead, “I had to finish up with the Redding's horses.”

“Oh oh!” A rowdy, intoxicated male pointed across the table to him and smirked, “Is that looker of their's home yet?”

Colten creased his brow, his dark eyes simmering, “No, Tyler.”

“Awe, man! She's a nice bit too.” The guy sighed, slapping his hand to the table.

“She wasn't home yet.” Colten grunted.

“Wonder how much she learned at College.” He slurred, with a raised eyebrow.

Sneering at him, Colten ignored him further, “Go have another drink.”

He nodded, “Not a bad idea, you sure are smart, Colt.” He stood quick and disappeared into the crowd.

“Alpha's are so smart!” Peter leaned over, smacking Colten on the back, “Ain't that right?”

Colten stared at him, “Why did I come here?”

“Don't get testy.” Peter took a big swig of his beer, “So, what are you doing this weekend?”

“Nothing much. Just have Sarah coming over.” Colten ran a hand through his damp hair; not appreciating how hot and sticky the bar got on a friday evening.

Peter smiled, “How's Sarah?”

“She's fine.” Colten looked up as Tyler bellowed across the dance floor, “He's gonna get it.” He pointed to Tyler as a bigger girl blonde, puffed up her chest in protest to Tyler's moves.

Pete laughed, “Where's my phone? I'm videoing this.”

“Oh jeez.” Colten looked away, scanning the bar and taking in the line-up for a beer.

Peter fumbled with his electronic device, “Ah, I only have one battery cell left. Damn.”

Colten stayed quiet, toying with the idea of going to get himself a drink.

“You're sure with the conversation tonight, Colt.”

Colten looked to him, “I'm just tired. Long week.”

“Maybe Sarah can unwind you.” Peter chimed, smirking.

“One of these days, I swear - I'm going to revoke your beta-card.”

His friend burst out laughing, “You're too nice to do that!”

Colten grumbled, “Be right back.” Grabbing his cowboy hat, he shifted it back on as he made his way across the bar. Dodging more and more people as the place filled.

He crept his way to the bar and ordered himself two beers, to save the trip fifteen minutes later when he'd need another. As he waited, he loosened another button on his plaid shirt and shoved his sleeves a little higher on his elbows.