The scrolls

I have no idea what is taking Mikey so long. Of course, he's not taken the shellraiser, and there are good twenty minutes running from home to TCRI. But I'm in a difficult situation, and every minute feels like a whole hour.

The sound of the chains clattering agaist the floor every time he moves is driving me crazy, I have the feeling he can break free any second, and that would mean my total defeat. Besides kraang have been alerted. How? I don't know. Perhaps those brains have finally learned how to think and have put two and two together. Three turtles came in to rescue the forth, only two have come out. Even a first grader would have known that, there  is one still in the building. And things haven't gone their way.

So they keep coming. I fight them off, barricaded in that gloomy room, waiting for Mikey. Praying that Leo wouldn't win his pesonal fight against my chains. Hoping April hasn't injected Sensei. Growing more and more desperate.

=

Mikey frowns, staring at the screen of his phone while running at top speed. He's blocking any distraction that tries to overrun his mind and focuses only on the red dot that shows his brother's location. He isn't moving. Top floor. No way to be found once he leaves the elevator. He presses himself against the wall as kraang run by, carrying heavy weaponry. 

Ok. He's suprised about how sharp his mind can be when needed. Kraang are like an ant line, follow them, and you'll get the prey. In this case, me. 

"BOOYAKASHA!!"

I have never been so happy about hearing that stupid meaningless shout. I bang on the door to tell him where I am. 

"Mikey!"

I glance back at Leo as I hear the fight outside. I trust my little brother, God knows I do. But I also know how he is the weakest of us all and how easily he can be distracted during a fight. Besides, if everything has gone as planned, he is carrying the scrolls, and they might be our last chance to get Leo back. But after all... Leo is practically a goner. I can't risk Mikey getting taken away from me. 

I yank the door open and my eyes grow wide.

"What the -"

Not even in my wildest dreams could I have expected something like that. There he stands, a goofy smile curving his lips, hands on his hips and nunchucks firmly secured under his arms. Around him, a pile of sliced robots, some of them still giving off sparks. I can't help smiling, when I'm fairly recovered of my initial surprise. 

"Look at that..."

"Told you, you could count on me, bro. When have I let you down?" 

He walks over to me as I hesitate and open my mouth to answer, but I decide it's better to let it go. What's the point in ruining the moment? I hug him loosely when he comes closer, and I notice he is shaking a bit.

"What's wrong, Mike?"

"I'm not sure... I guess I'm worried about Donnie, that's all".

"Yeah, you have to tell me what happened. But first... Let's try and wake up Leo. Again. Where are the scrolls?"

He takes them from his belt and hands them over. I put my hands on his shoulders and look into his eyes, dead serious. I don't have time to think about how he's managed to fight his way - alone - all the way to the top floor, but I need him to keep doing wonders. 

"Mikey, you must stay focused. Stay by the door, fight off any kraang that wants to come through".

"Can do!"

"Seriously, though. I need to concentrate, and if you don't keep them away..."

He puts his hands on my arms and smiles at me. 

"Raph, I get it. And I've told you, you can count on me. Now, go save our brother". 

I give a nod and turn to Leo, who is still struggling. His eyes are still white and his expression is emotionless when he turns his head towards me. I take a deep breath and open the scroll. Well, at least I understand them. Even though it's my first time with this kind of exercise and I'm sure I'm going to screw up. 

The sound of blasts on the other side of the door makes me plunge into reality again. I frown, determined, and exchange looks one last time with Mikey. I kneel down next to Leo and breath out. 

Let's do this.

=

Meanwhile at the lair, April is pacing the lab, keeping an eye on Donnie, while tears roll down her cheeks. She holds her head from time to time, trying to shake off the guilt  and bad feelings that keep haunting her. At one point, she throws the syringe against the wall, causing it to shatter into pieces and she flops down to the ground, hugs her knees and starts crying.

Donnie doesn't stir. He lays on the metal desk, motionless, and doesn't make a move even when Master Splinter enters the room. But April does move, she looks up at Sensei, eyes still watering. 

"What is happening, my child? Where are the others? And... Is Donatello not feeling good?" He approaches his son and takes his hand, frowning slightly. 

April wipes at her eyes and slowly gets up, letting out a deep sigh.

"I'm so sorry, Sensei. This is all my fault. Raph and Mikey are trying to bring Leo back home and Donnie... I am not quite sure what's wrong with him".

Splinter's ear twitches as e takes in all the information, his eyes still calmly set on his son's face. 

"I see...". He puts a hand on Donnie's forehead and sighs softly when he finds no trace of fever. "I'll go find my scrolls. Just to see what is making him feel sick". 

Jusst a sharp move of his tail and April's hands get tied together, preventing her from doing what she was about to. She cringes and drops a second syringe, shrieking. Splinter's face shows no anger, just mere disappointment. 

"What is that? Did you hurt my sons?" 

After that question, his eyes truly flash with anger. He hesitates for a second but finally pins her down, still waiting for an answer. 

"I - I had no choice... I didn't want to... But the kraang... Don't you always say we need to finish the mission and aim for the greater good, no matter what we have to sacrifice along the way? They promised to leave. They promised to leave Earth and give me back my mom if they could take the turtles as allies to their next mission!".

Splinter's expression softens for a moment, but doesn't let go of her. 

"Well, I think I was mistaken. I won't sacrifice my sons. I'm sorry about your mom, April. But I thought your loyalty toward us was a bit different". 

He scowls again before holding her carefully by her shoulders and taking her out of the lab. He ignores her yelling and puts her into Leo's room. 

"It really hurts me to do this, April. But although I understand your resons, I can't take any more risks". He closes the door and locks it, quickly going back to the lab to tend to Donnie.

April doesn't try to get out. She sits down on the floor, leaning her back against the locked door. Her eyes wander the room, neat as it hasn't been used in the past weeks. She stares at a Captain Ryan action figure and immediately covers her face. 

"What have I done...".