Alternative way

Donnie seems overwhelmed, and I realize it is probably the first time I see him freaking out about having so much to do in his lab. It's like, come on, he loves to be locked up in there! We have just brought him a good excuse not to leave the place in a long while. 

"Are you aware of how many chemicals you have brought? And three flashdrives? I have to decode them to read the information! It can take ages! Ugh, you really have to be kidding me!" 

He turns around hugging the backpack against his chest while Mikey and I exchange amused looks. 

"Besides!" Our brother turns to us once more, and I can tell he notices our fake innocence, because he squints at us. "Leo is still occupying one of my desks. In case you haven't noticed!!"

He keeps complaining and grumbling as he walks off. I'm glad the lab doesn't have a door he can slam, but I flinch either way.

"Fine! I'm sorry I was trying to help then!"I burtst out, clenching my fists. Mikey pats my shoulder. 

"Chill, bro. Want a massage? Don't wanna brag but I'm pretty good at it, and that will totally help you cool off!"

I have no time to accept of decline, he starts rubbing my shoulders straight away and I stiffen before cracking my neck. Yeah, it kinda feels good. If he wasn't humming. Why must he be so annoying? He smacks my head and I wince, not having expected such reaction.

"Hey!" I can't turn around because he has me pinned down by my shoulders; his giggles just irritate me more.

"Relax, Raphie boy. If you are all tense my massages don't work".

"Don't call me -"

He smacks my head again and I growl, he laughs. And he knows he's lost, because he releases me and runs off. Of course I chase him, it's my duty as older brother not to let him step on my toes. He knocks everything down, trying to put obstacles on my way, and that makes me laugh. Stupid kid. We have done this far too many times to know that those kind of tricks don't stop me. So I finally lunge forward and trip him, and he falls flat on the floor. That's my opportunity to lay on his back and squeeze his head.

"Don't ever call me that again!"

"Okay, okay" He whimpers and squirms, and even though I know he's faking it, I let go and walk off. He gets up immediately and brushes himself off.

"One minute you're my teammate, the next you're chasing me down. You need some medicine, Raph".

I don't bother to turn and face him, I just shake my head, showing him I don't care about his deep thoughts. Deep inside, I doubt, but I don't let the thoughts creep in. I go into my room and plop down on my bed. Wrapped around my wrist is the blue mask I have retrieved from the rooftop.

I don't know how I have been able to avoid all the questions Mikey has asked me. Probably because I didn't know the answers to half of them. His eyes were scared when he looked at me as I climbed down holding the mask tight in my fist.

Is it Leo's... I just shrugged. Honestly speaking, I don't know. But if I pay attention to my heart, I can't find any other owner to the blue fabric.

How did you know it was there... I didn't. I just found it. But I somehow was certain it wasn't casual. It was there for a reason, since it was a place so tightly related to my dreams.

How come we never noticed Leo wasn't wearing his mask... That was the question I really couldn't answer. Was there any possibility that stuff could travel from the dreams realm to the real one? Or the other way round? I guess there is only one person that can help with this, and that's Leo. He is the only one having a similar problem... Or whatever it is.

I untie the mask and hold it close to my chest. Ok, time to face him. No matter how jumpy he acts, or how many times he wants to bite me, I won't leave until I get the answers I need.

The moment I step into the lab I know I have been deceiving myself. I'm not going to be able to talk to him, he's sound asleep. Donnie is analyzing something with his microscope and he won't allow me to wake him up just for a few questions. I see Leo is still connected to the monitors, and Donnie is probably recording his brain activity, one more reason not to unsettle him. I sigh and turn around. Donnie hasn't even noticed me, and nor has Leo... All the better. My eyes are locked on the blue mask I'm holding when a sudden idea strikes me. I get back into the lab and I try to catch Donnie's attention from the door frame, not wanting Leo to notice me. The scientist finally looks up and walks over at me.

"I have enough work already, Raph. No more mysteries for today, ok?"

"Ha ha very funny, D. I need a pill. I need to go to sleep right now."

"Huh?" He raises an eyebrow. "Why don't you lay down and see what happens?"

I huff. How come he is so smart for some things and so slow for some others?

"Because I need a good night sleep. I've been waking up a lot lately."

"Are you sure?"

I growl and hold my head.

"Can you help me or not?"

"Yeah, yeah... Jeez. Why is everyone acting so weird lately?" He walks back to his desk and opens a couple of drawers before he finds what he is looking for.

"Here. Take just one. But eat something first".

"Sure"

I take the pill from his hands and hurry to the kitchen, stuff myself with some cereals and down the pill with some water. I go to bed and for the first time in years, hug my stuffed bear, together with that strange blue mask. I feel drowsy and my eyes close.

Ok, Leo. I'm going to find you and we are going to talk, whether you like it or not.