The Deli Section

Banner made by @obsessedhumor-  She did an absolutely AMAZING JOB and you should definitely go and check her out!

_______________________________________________________

"Don't you think we should go grocery shopping before heading back home?" I ask Ryan in the passenger seat of his car. "I might not like the food you have in your pantry. Better safe than sorry."

"Actually, I don't care if you like the food or not and I'm just fine eating what I want." He replies impudently.

"Come on! A girl's got to eat. And I'll pay for the groceries." I try again.

"If it means you'll stop nagging me then fine! Let's go get some damn groceries!" He snaps. I only smile. I loved it when I always got my way. Made me feel special.

Once we arrive at the store, I'm quick to grab a cart and roam the area. Ryan stands by my side, hands folded across his chest and a small crease between in his eyebrows.

"Oh my god!" I scream. "You're acting like a child right now!"

"Am not!" he replies throwing down his arms.

"I can't believe you! How old are you? 20? 23? You're a grown man and you're standing there and pouting because we're going grocery shopping?" I remark, aghast.

"I'm 21, actually." he spits back. I huff at his reply. "And why can't a man just be grumpy? Has it ever crossed your mind that I have my own stuff going on and am too busy to be going to a store right now? Why are you classifying me as a child just because I have stuff going on in my life and don't feel like doing what you want to do?"

"Oh my gosh, you're getting so defensive." I laugh. His reaction is hysterical. As he spoke, red rushed to his face and a small vein expanded at his temple. The red in his cheeks almost intensified his blue green eyes. And those ears . . .

I bite down the blush that's starting to fill my cheeks and quickly walk away from Ryan with the cart.

"I am not being defensive!" Ryan yells after me as he quietly stalks behind me.

The first place I hit is the deli area. It was usually really busy over there, and getting a ticket now would be the best choice. Sure enough, once we arrived, the lines were full.

"Ryan, go get a ticket." I tell him once I get us a spot at the back of the line.

"Why do I have to get the ticket?" he whines.

"Because I have to watch the cart." I reply.

"Well, why can't I watch the cart and you get the ticket?"

"Just go get the damn ticket Ryan! Why do you have to make everything so damn difficult?"

"Fine!" he yells as he stomps off.

When I took this 'job' I hadn't realized how difficult it would be. The thought of a CEO of massive company throwing a fit in a grocery store because he doesn't want to go shopping just never seemed to cross my mind.

Life sure does have a way of surprising you.

And the even more ironic thing is that life doesn't just stop there.

"Marie!" Ryan yells from the counter. "What kind of meat do you want?"

"Ryan, we have to wait in line first." I remark. Maybe he didn't want to go grocery shopping because he's never been. God, how does someone this inexperienced become CEO of a large enterprise?

"Oh, it's okay. We don't have to do that." he replies. "This lovely young lady is letting us cut all these people."

It was scary. Almost in unison, it seems that all the people who were in line snap their necks to face my direction. Their eyes beam down on me and I could feel them on my skin, piercing me like they were shooting lasers in my direction.