Chapter One

"Anna!" came the shrill voice of my mother. A very stern, driven woman who rarely pulled herself away from her work, not even to be a real mother.
"Anna! Come here, please" she called again. Sighing, I lazily got out of my bed and went downstairs.
My mother looks like me. Dark brown hair, chocolate eyes. Pale white skin dusted with light freckles.
"I'm going away again. Seattle, this time. Ill be gone for a month. I'll call every few days to check up on you." She stated, her voice robotic. This 'I'm going away for a month' thing was practically a monthly tradition for my mother.
"What's in Seattle?" I asked, feigning interest. Honestly, I already knew. An important client needs my help.
These clients of hers always seemed to be hours away from home. Hours away from me.
"Just a client. Will you be okay while I'm gone?" she asked. I shrugged, sitting down at the dining table and grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.
"Always am" I said, not looking up from my apple. I could almost hear her rolling her eyes.
"Don't be like that Anna. You know my job is important."
"Okay, okay. Yes I'll be fine" I didn't feel like an argument with my mother.
"Be good. I've left money for shopping. I'm leaving tonight." She said as she flitted around the kitchen, picking things up as she went.
I didn't mind, really. I was used to living in this house by myself. I liked to be alone, in fact. Curled up in my bed, reading a good book, whilst listening to piano songs- that sounded like Heaven to me. I'd always been very self-reliant, so I never encountered any problems that would've been expected from a seventeen year old being left to live alone for months. I went to school, did my homework; I was very efficient at cooking for myself and I knew everything that I needed to know. But I did miss my mother when she was gone.

I drove my mother to the airport that night, as was routine. When I got home, there was a feeling that was very familiar.
Emptiness. The complete dead silence of the house was almost comforting to me now.

I went up to my room and began getting my stuff ready for school in the morning. Everything I did was routine- get up, get ready. Go to school, come home, do homework. Prepare for school the next day, and repeat.
I lived an extremely boring life.