My Own Personal Sun [A Jacob Black Story] {Part 13}

JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW:

            I flicked the small stone, grey and shiny, into the air, catching it easily in my palm, then tossing it up again. My eyes trailed over the yellowing grass, up to the pitch black clouds speeding towards us.

            Summer was across the field, standing awkwardly beside Edward and Bella, who were cuddling and cradling each other. Summer shifted her weight from one foot to the other, looking around as if she were busy, but doing anything to not look in my direction; apparently, she was still mad at me, and wasn’t about to forgive me anytime soon.

            Sighing, I stood, unable to control myself any longer; I took long strides, quickly making my way over to where Summer stood.

            “Ready?” I asked, not really directing my question at anyone in particular, but hoping Summer would reply.

            Instead, her gaze flickered up to mine, went bleak, and then fell to the ground; Edward replied instead.

            “You know, that’s a good idea, dog.” He murmured, then explained my thoughts to Bella. “He wants to see if we can catch your scent if he carries you, so he can bring you to our camp tonight. If it works, it will make things much easier.”

            Bella nodded. “How would we test that?”

            “He’ll have to carry one of you, around in the forest for about ten minutes—no big problem.” His eyes flashed to Summer; he was still unwilling to let me carry Bella, despite how well he knew my feelings for Summer.

            I didn’t blame him—I mean, if some guy came and tried to carry Summer around….

            Edward snorted a little, smiling at me. I rolled my eyes, then watched Summer patiently.

            She looked at Bella. “You first?”

            Edward looked down. “Well, there it is only necessary for one test, Summer, and…”

            Summer’s face twisted down into a frown. “You’re gonna make me go, aren’t you?”

            Edward and Bella both nodded.

            Summer’s gaze turned to me—obviously unhappy—and I flashed her a smug smile.

            Taking three small steps, she was so close she was nearly touching me; I could smell her scent, and the blood pooling in her cheeks.

            “Look, Jake,” she spat at me, her voice like acid, “We’re going to do this, and do this quickly. Let’s go.”

            I had to look straight down to meet her eyes; I felt so big compared to her.