My Own Personal Sun [A Jacob Black Story] {Part 10}

Summer was still in her coma; I was still sitting beside her bed, waiting patiently.

            Each day, I could feel myself get a little bit crazier. I was slowly, but surely, going insane—I could feel it within my bones. As the silent hours passed, I just continued to watch Summer, waiting for any signs of improvement—it had already been a couple weeks, now.

            “You know, they say a watched pot never boils.”

            My head snapped up to the doorway; Carlisle was standing in the doorway, followed by Alice and Jasper. Alice gave me a little wave; Jasper nodded once in greeting, his nose wrinkled.

            “Hey, Jacob.” Alice chimed, dancing her way into the room. “I thought maybe Jasper could shift your mood a little—you seem so down lately.”

            My gaze dropped to my hands. “No thanks.” I sounded horrible; my throat was dry, and I felt weak—I hadn’t eaten in a while, despite how much the entire family hounded me for it.

            Alice’s expression flickered from happiness to concern; she stepped over to me silently, sitting in the chair beside me.

            The burning in my nostrils didn’t bother me as much as I had remembered; I was adjusting to the sting.

            I saw Jasper flinch in the corner of the room reflexively; he was worried about Alice being that close to a werewolf.

            “Jacob?” Alice asked, her voice sounding like bells. “Please, eat something, drink something. I’m worried about you.”

            Lately, Alice had been the only one who liked to stick around me; she kept me company, although we didn’t talk very often. We just enjoyed one another’s presence, sitting in silence. I think it was because of the way being around her blocked out her view of the future—she said it gave her a nice break.

            I swallowed, my throat dry and my lips cracked. “I’m not hungry.”

            Her voice became stern. “Jacob, I know how this argument ends—you might as well give up right now.”

            Sighing, I stood; it felt awkward, and a tingle of pain stretched through my tired and unused legs. “Fine, Alice.” I mumbled. “But you better make me something good.”

            Alice snickered; I heard Jasper chuckle a little. “How about some Chicken Cordon Blue?”

            “Should I know what that means…?”

            Alice passed me out of the doorway. “Come to the kitchen—I already made it, because I knew you’d take it.”

            I sighed, then glanced back at Jasper, who was still in the rearranged office now used for Summer’s healthcare. “Hey—Jasper?”