My Own Personal Sun [A Jacob Black Story] {Part 8}

SUMMER’S POINT OF VIEW:

            Everything was all in slow motion, but moving so quickly I couldn’t keep up.

            One minute, I’m sitting on a couch with Emily, trying to convince her to tell me what’s so dangerous and what was going on—but to no avail; she kept saying Jacob had to be the one to tell me—and the next, I hear the sound of boulders smashing and horrible screams.

            Then, I’m out on the deck, watching a woman fight a wolf. Not just any wolf, but a huge wolf—bigger than any wolf, bear and nearly as large as an elephant, I swore.

            And no, I didn’t take shrooms this morning with my cereal; I’m not insane or high or intoxicated. This is legit.

            But, there was this one single instant when this wolf looked at me—it’s big, brown eyes screaming out to me like it’s being tortured, which, really wasn’t far off—this woman was ripping flesh off him piece by piece—and I recognize it.

            Sure, maybe I’m crazy, but I know those eyes.

            “Jacob!” I scream, my voice choking off as I ran out of air, watching this creepy ginger attack my Jacob. “Stop, stop! I screamed at the woman.

            Everything went by quickly; my eyes missed most of the action, but my ears caught it all. I heard the crunching and smashing of boulders, which only seemed to happen when the woman got hurt; her screams lit up the air, making it seem electric. Then, I heard the quieter crunch of bones, and the howls and screams of the wolf; my heart shattered every time the wolf let go a tortured howl.

            Then, one last snap broke through the air and the wolf went limp; it’s eyes met mine, and I realized tears were dripping down my face.

            “Jacob…” I murmered, my head spinning as I began to step down the porch steps towards the redheaded woman, who was stalking towards me, her teeth exposed.

            Not that any of this made any sense to me already, but it seemed as if she were hunting me.

            Ignoring her, I took a step off the stairs, headed for the limp russet wolf; a hand snatched my wrist, restraining me.

            “Summer—no!” I heard Emily cry. “Don’t go any closer, please!

            And then, everything seemed to zone out, and I realized I had fallen flat on my back; I let the darkness engulf me, making my body go entirely numb.

*************************

            I awoke with a gasp, sweat beads rolling down my face; after a second, my lack of energy became apparent. I was out of breath and my eyelids were heavy, but managed to keep them up.