12 | The Tyger

Chapter Twelve

        "No, Leo, I distinctly remember that the gate was back there."

I groaned in frustration.

"Seriously, Jo? We need to board at Gate 17. We've only just cleared Gate 11. There's no way we could have passed our gate. We're not even in the teens yet! Now, if you'd kindly follow me, I'm sure I'll be able to find our gate up ahead."

"'Scuse me? We definitely took a wrong turn. Anyway, I think I'd know that better than you would, considering I've lived in the state of Tennessee for the upwards of five years, and you're still a newbie to the country. I've been to the NIA plenty of times, trust me. And you?"

Raking a hand through my hair, I forced myself to remain calm.

We were standing in the middle of the Nashville International Airport. For the previous twenty minutes, Jo and I had been arguing over our boarding location. Like two stones in a river, irritated commuters were forced to walk around us as we diverted the flow of the crowd's movement.

Realizing our fault, I swiftly pulled Jo to the side to resume our bickering.

"I was here, like, two months ago, when I moved to Abbottsville. How do you think my family got here? We sure as hell didn't drive, courtesy of my bratty little sisters. I'm one-hundred percent sure that I remember my way around this place. Besides, when's the last time you were here? When you came here from California, 'upwards of five years' ago? I'm confident in remembering my way around this place. You, on the other hand..."

"No! Dad and I actually went on vacation to-"

I waved my hands at her. "Spare me the details for later. Right now, you and I have a plane to catch!"

I tried to grab her wrist and pull her along in the right direction, but Jo ripped away from me.

"No! I swear to God there was a sign back there that said-"

I sighed and clutched at her again. "Screw whatever that sign supposedly said! We're wasting time here and we're going to miss our flight. Just. Follow. Me."

Fortunately, Jo stopped complaining about the gate; unfortunately, Jo started whining about something else.

"You're going too fast! Jesus, Usain Bolt! You're going to rip my arm off! Would you stop?"

Ignoring her, I propelled us forward through the massive throngs of people.

Albeit I almost had a heart attack, but I got us to Gate 17 in record time.

Wheezing, I collapsed on a black leather chair in the waiting area. Jo plopped down beside me.

"Hey, Leo?"

I wasn't keen on her sugar-sweet tone, so I replied coldly.

"What?" I snapped.

"Did I ever mention that you are a complete asshole sometimes?"

Still struggling to catch my breath, I glared at her.

"Oh, I didn't? Because you are."

She smiled. I grimaced.

Jo had been awarded the first-place prize of one thousand dollars at the talent show a few days before, and had been wondering what to do with all that money. As I had won second place (five-hundred bucks), I was also in need of an idea.

Luckily, Caroline gave us a plan.

"Why don't you go somewhere?"

(Jane wanted to spend all of it on Littlest Pet Shop toys, but I had quickly shot that one down).