Prologue

Prologue

Of all places, I met Jo Underwood at a drive-in movie theatre.

It was one of those hazy, warm June nights- not exactly scorching, but definitely uncomfortable. I sat fidgeting in the burning vinyl seat of my '64 Ford Fairlane- it was still fairly light out, so I continued to be at the mercy of the harsh Tennessee sun. As I had recently moved from the coolness of Ontario, Canada, I wasn't yet aware that I would be subject to many sunburns over the course of the summer months to come.

"You dig a Coke, mister?" a bored waitress-lady drawled, strolling up next to me in roller-blades. Why was she wearing them? Wasn't that Sonic's thing? Her name tag read Carla.

Regardless of my internal inquires, I nodded, paid her a buck, and grabbed a bottle from her portable icebox. With that, I was alone again.

I glanced at my watch. It was only 6:42. From the poster I had seen while paying for my ticket, I recalled that the movie wouldn't start for another hour and a half. Why had I been let in? But then again, why had I come so early?

Sitting by myself in the middle of a sheared wheat field, even I realized how lame I must've looked. There was no-one there to see me anyway, besides Carla, a few of her co-workers, and the venue owner. And they were all nice and comfortable inside their air-conditioned hut. Nevertheless, I squirmed impatiently.

There I was. Waiting for a movie to start. Sipping on a particularly odd-tasting Coca Cola. Could they turn bad, or whatever, I wondered? I didn't even care, so I chugged it.

I was scavenging through my glove compartment- for something to do, I guess- when I heard footsteps approach. I straightened myself with a start.

"Hi."

"Hi," I returned hesitantly.

Shielding my eyes from the relentless glare surrounding us, I blinked at the stranger.

She was a short little thing, basically; probably around five foot or so. Her skin was very pale- not abnormal compared to what I was used to seeing in Ontario, but she could probably be considered something of an albino next to the dark, rusty skin tones of other Abbottsville citizens.

Clad in a pink lacy sundress and white sandals, I observed with delight that, unlike virtually every other girl I had encountered within the past week, she was not wearing cowboy boots and Daisy Dukes.

She had long brown hair- almost like dark chocolate, for a lousy simile. She wore it down, in loose waves that couldn't help but frizz uncontrollably in the impenetrable evening warmth. She had a single yellow flower tucked behind her ear- upon Googling it afterward, I would find that it was called rudbeckia hirta, or a black-eyed Susan.

Her eyes were earthy hazel, but at that moment, she was hiding them behind sepia Aviators. She had a beautiful smirk-smile, I would later learn, with a near-invisible dimple puckering the skin at the crook of her mouth. She giggled girlishly at me then; a sort of shy, reserved grin accompanying the bell-like bubble of laughter that escaped her lips.

I cleared my throat and spoke.

"A-Are you here to see the movie?"

I could've kicked myself. Duh, Leo! Why else would she be wandering in this partially-deserted field at night? Luckily, I was met with another flowery giggle. Not to sound corny or cliché or whatever, but God, Jo's laugh sounded like an actual music box, or something!

"Yeah. I'm assuming you are, too? Why did you come so early? I'm usually the first one here."

I shuffled awkwardly in my seat. "I dunno. Guess I had nothing better to do."