Chapter Sixteen: You're Here, That's All I Need To Know

I was awoken by a montage of voices, particularly two female voices. First, Sylvia's panicked tones exclaimed that it was her fault for letting my leave Jehan's home in the evening. Then Eponine, remorsefully saying that she was safe because of my help. Then Joly's voice broke through, louder than I have ever heard him before.

"Everyone back away, allow her to breathe!"

My eyes fluttered open and I looked right into Joly's concentrated eyes. I pressed my fingers to my palm, finding my hand devoid of Enjolras's. I looked around, sitting up abruptly and wincing at the pain in my ribcage. "Careful, nothing's broken, but you are badly bruised. There is nothing I can do now, you will heal in time, but it is best not to exert yourself too much." Joly warned me, closing his briefcase.

I nodded. "Merci, Monsieur Joly." Joly nodded and excused himself, explaining that he had been asked to help a friend who was suffering from pneumonia. Sylvia rushed to my bedside with Jehan standing closely behind her. "Oh, Patria! This is all my fault! I should never have let you go out into the darkness!"

"Sylvia, that fault was not yours. I went back to the dorm house, but I ran away towards the Café. Rest your nerves." 

Eponine made her way to me next. "Mademoiselle Patria, I cannot thank you enough. I am so sorry that you were harmed. I tried to bring help as quickly as I could."

"That you brought help at all is all that matters." I said, taking her hand into mine. I smiled at her and she embraced me carefully. When she released, I looked around again for Enjolras, but I could not find him.

"Where is he?" I asked. 

"Enjolras went to fetch something for you. He did not specify when he would return, but he promised he would come as soon as he could." Sylvia informed me.

"Sylvia, I'm due at the print shop. We must be going." Jehan said and then gently took my hand. "We will come visit again to see how you are faring." Sylvia gently kissed my forehead and they both left hand in hand.

Eponine and I were the only ones left. I beckoned her to sit down on the bed. She looked even more thin than the last time I saw her. I dug around in my pocket and found that coin from long ago. I extended it out to her and her eyes widened.

She shook her head persistantly, yet I could see a hungering gaze in her eyes. She wanted it despite whatever claim she could come up with. "Oh no, Mademoiselle Patria, I cannot take this from you!"

"You are not taking it if I am giving it to you. I took her hand and placed the coin into her palm. She hesitated for a moment but finally tightened her hold on the coin and smiled weakly for me. "Merci, Madem-"

"Please, just Patria."

Eponine nodded eagerly and before she could open her mouth to say another word, there was a knock on the door and in came Marius Pontmercy. I noticed a new light in Eponine, evident in her eyes. She gazed at him like a group of shining stars, a majestic red sunset, a first ray of sunlight after winter.

Yet he did not even glance at her as he entered.

"Bonjour, Patria, I am sorry to see you unwell." He said, then he finally turned to Eponine. "Ah, 'Ponine! How fortunate that I've found you! I need you to run an errand for me."

"Oh," Eponine's eyes dimmed slightly and her head dropped to look at her bare feet. "Indeed, Monsieur Marius. I would be pleased to aid you, Monsieur." She said delicately.

"Forgive me, Patria, but this is a matter of urgency. I must be going." Marius pardoned himself and Eponine ran anxiously after him. He reached a hand onto her back as he beckoned her out of the door. The smile on Eponine's face was as warming as fire. The love within her was so evident, how could Marius not even sense it? Then I wondered what was causing him to act so strangely at the Café if it was not Eponine that had struck him. What was this urgent errand she was doing for him? I forced myself to stop focusing on the matter. It was none of my business.