Chapter Five: And I Can Make Believe He's Here

I awaken to Sylvia shaking me by the shoulders. Her golden brown eyes danced with joy as she bit into a large piece of bread, crumbs scattered across her lips. "Oh, Patria, I never dreamed our money would buy enough food! This is a miracle." Her face suddenly became somber and I realized that she must have seen the bruises on my face. "Patria, what happened to you? I knew that you shouldn't have gone by yourself! Who did this to you?"

Suddenly I remembered the thief and my rescue as well as the benevolence of the stranger and the ten francs he gave me. It stunned me how quickly Enjolras could fly into my thoughts. "I am whole, these are nothing but bruises."I reached under my bed and extracted the coin pouch from the pocket of my coat and held the coins out to her. "Look at this! We can split it between us."

Sylvie face smiled gently, but I could still see that she was dysphoric about what had happened. "Who gave you this food? Was the baker feeling generous?" She asked. Then she took my hand. "And I still want to know why you have bruises on your face."

I was hoping to avoid speaking about the thief that nearly took advantage of me, but I knew that Sylvia would be incessant. "Someone attempted to rob me, but a gentleman came to my rescue. He was the angel we needed and he looked just like one as well. He insisted that I keep my money and he bought food for the company when I mentioned out needs."

Sylvie squealed with excitement and tore off another piece of her bread with her teeth. "Oh, tell me! What did he look like? What was his name? Did he kiss your hand or bid you farewell?" She has forgotten all about the reasoning behind my bruises and I was glad to move past it.

I shook my head, sighing at the memory of him taking my hand. "His name is Enjolras. He has golden curls and stark blue eyes, tall and handsome, yet severe looking in his face and demeanor. I'm certain he could not have cared for me in the slightest."

"Nonsense, Patria, I am certain he is in love with you."

"I have only just met him! I doubt it, he seems far too passionate regarding France to care for anyone else. He's a revolutionary, he could be dangerous. They all could be."

Sylvia munched on her bread and skipped out of the room down the hall. "Just you wait and see!" She sang out melodically. I rolled my eyes and gathered her crumbs with my fingers before placing them on my tounge. 

Even if I never saw him again, it would be nice to have a full stomach for a change. 

Three weeks later, the night of the ballet performance at the Opera House finally approached. We would be dancing the ballet known as Zephire et Flore. This was an evening that permitted us to leave behind our worn leotards and tights to bright, colorful dresses. Some were long and flowed like the ocean as you turned, others had taught tulle that stuck straight out, and they all were extravagant.

I was the leading role, Flore, and this dress was my favorite: elegant and white, reaching down beneath my knees, the silk bodice reached up to form a sweetheart neckline atop the bodice. The sleeves hit just under the shoulders and consisted of light, slightly transparent material. There were flowers woven in shimmering silver, green and pale blue threads across the gown and even delicate, light blue wings that fluttered as I moved, like a real nymph.

I applied powder and rouge to my face and painted my lips deep red. Perhaps I was supposed to feel beautiful when caked behind the pale powder but I felt more confined. The door to my dressing room swung open and Madame Beareux hustled in.

"Quickly, Patria, you will need to go onstage soon!"

I stood and after applying rosin to my white pointe shoes, walked out onto the stage. The velvet curtains encompassed the ballerinas and gradually rose to reveal the stage grandly set up to resemble a jubilant forest. The girls playing the nine muses, including Sylvia, bourrèed across the stage and then my signal to appear was given to me by the softening of the orchestra's violins.