Part 3

Video uploaded on the right?  Yeah, I just couldn't help myself.  Sara can cross being in a music video off her bucket list ;-D  BTW, I said this would be posted in three parts, but I was wrong.  So, not the last part.  Might be two more.  

Dedicated to scintillator, 'cause she encouraged me to just relax and write this.  Thank you for all your help, sweetie.  

Friday

On the day before the beginning of the weekend, Sara and I crossed off another three items. Two were initially embarrassing (at least for her) while the other terrifying (for us both).

6. Bungee jump

As we had an eleven o'clock appointment with a bridge, I recommended that we enjoy a light breakfast. So, after sharing a mixed fruit bowl and splitting a toasted and strawberry smothered English muffin, we headed to our destination. Neither of us was very talkative during the trip, our thoughts consumed by the fact that in the near future we would purposefully fall from a bridge. It reminded me of how we first met on the roof of the nightclub. I started to bring that up, but then thought better of it, considering that tomorrow was the conclusion of our deal.

Though I decided not to mention it to Sara, as we stood on that bridge secured in our harnesses, it occurred to me that I was afraid looking over a hundred and fifty feet down toward a river and rock covered bottom. What would I have to be afraid of, considering that last Saturday I intended (and tried) to jump off a building without lifesaving gear attached to my person? Considering my recent morbid state of mind, I should have stood there wishing and hoping that my cord would malfunction. Instead, my heart raced, my palms were slick, and my breathing shallow.

"You okay?" I heard my friend ask, concern laced through her voice. Glancing toward her, I nodded. "You sure? You're starting to look like a kin of Kermit."

"Kermit?"

"The frog. You're a bit green around the gills."

"Oh!" I swallowed, rubbing damp palms along my sides. "I'm fine. A little nervous, but fine. You?"

Sara offered a wobbly smile. "Same."

"You wanna back out?" A part of me wanted her to say yes.

"The chicken who lives inside of me does, but no. Number six is going down, as am I. You know, you don't have to join me, Hales. You've been involved so much this week helping me with my bucket list. Why don't you sit this one out?"

Deeply inhaling followed by slowly exhaling, I shook my head. "I want to take number six down with you." I noticed an instructor headed toward us and flashed Sara a grin. "You first though." Because this bungee jumping company didn't allow tandem jumping, earlier Sara and I flipped a quarter to decide which of us would go first. Calling tails as the shiny coin flipped through the air, I won the coin toss.

She turned, spotting the approaching instructor. "One thing before I go. Do one thing for me?"

"Yes?"

"A good luck kiss. Please?"

I smiled, as her request sounded timidly adorable. Walking up to my friend, I leaned in, aiming toward her lips and at the last second pecking the tip of her nose. When she smirked, I chuckled.

Sara tapped an index finger against her bottom lip. "Too high."

"Inhaled more Purple Haze did we? Perhaps you shouldn't be bungee jumping then."

"Haha."

A moment before the instructor took her away to prepare for her jump, I properly pressed my lips to a set so very sweet and soft.