A Sight for Sore Eyes

A/N: This was never going to be a long story, and right now it looks like it will be 10 chapters… It feels kinda right for this type of "romantic comedy" after all… those are rarely three hours features in the movies, are they? ;) I'm currently working on chapter nine, though, so we'll see… and it might not be the last from this universe either, but more about that at a later date… ;)

As usual, thank you to my beta TheCookieMonster!

Now See Here!

Chapter 7: A Sight for Sore Eyes

Mark woke up nervous about the day, and it didn't get much better from then on. It was almost a blessing that he knew that he wouldn't run into Jake, at least. Sharing a meal with strangers, in an unknown place, meant so many possibilities of making a fool of himself, but he had to do it. This was the next step in his career and he couldn't screw it up.

He showered, shaved and made sure he dressed well in a full suit. Normally just a shirt with no tie would do, but he didn't normally meet clients like this, after all. He ran a brush though his hair, wondering if he should have gotten a haircut. Maybe something shorter, styled in a somewhat more professional way? But it would take longer getting ready if he had to be worried about his hair standing on end… with this length it at least laid down… though Lance had called it 'surfer hair' once and- Mark shook his head. No working himself into a nervous breakdown because of his hairstyle! He had a bus to catch.

_____________________________________________________

It's just a couple of clients… they won't bite… He told himself as he entered the restaurant at noon, his hand on Sue's shoulder for guidance. The woman seemed rather calm, which helped. She had done this before, Mark thought, and all he had to do was follow her lead, he told himself.

Four people had met up with them, and as introductions were made Mark recognized names and voices from people Jake had introduced him to at the kick-off party. They had started the company together and were all equal partners, although managed different sections. The fourth person, however, was someone he had preferred not to meet again; Andrew O'Connor, the head programmer.

"Your table is ready now," a voice said, and as they all prepared to follow the waitress, O'Connor spoke up.

"I just need to talk to Mark alone for a moment, we'll catch you right up," he said, and the blond found himself being led away a few steps.

"What-?" he asked.

"I needed to apologize in private. The party, I- I had a drink or two too many and I just assumed that- let's just say I screwed up royally and I'm not a complete asshole, okay? And I'm very sorry I thought you were… you know… gay."

"It's not like it's an insult," Mark snorted. "And… well, it's complicated. Let's say I'm not quite out of the closet and leave it at that, shall we?"

"Hah, I knew Jake wouldn't look like that at a straight guy," O'Connor chuckled. "So are you and him…?"

"No. Yes. No."

"Let me guess; that's very complicated too?"

"To say the least. We had an argument and he ran off to some guy…" Mark muttered.

"Really? Huh."

"You sound surprised?"

"Yes it's just that… Well, I mean we all have one night stands now and then, but Jake… he's more of a long term type… he normally tries very hard to make things work… there was this flaky reporter-guy…"