Messenger

Stunningly green blades of grass parted as my feet tread over them. The clean air swooped through my lungs and then out of my tired body in replenishing bursts and I appreciated the mysterious beauty of the world around me for not the first time. The life in the verdant mosses that clung to rough barks and the twittering of birds brought a new sharpness to my senses. 

I brought my hand to the bow slung over my shoulder and swiftly took it off. I pulled an arrow from my quiver and nocked it before narrowing my eyes. They had spotted a young rabbit. The creature perked its ears up and sniffed the air, wide-eyed. I pulled back quickly and released. 

I heard a thunk as the arrow buried itself in the tree behind the creature and grinned. Right through the eye, like always. After wiping off the tip I returned my arrow to the quiver and threw the dead rabbit over my shoulder. Trees were becoming less frequent and I was reaching the end of the forest, where food would be scarce. Thick mist began to roll over the dew-covered green as I stepped out of the woodland. Not far in the distance, waterfalls cascaded down cliffs that scraped the sky and gnarled trees held on tightly to their steep rock faces. I had reached the Cliffs of the Gods. 

Ascending slowly, I grasped at the rough rock and pulled myself higher. The mist thickened and I heard the distant rumble of a storm. Finally, I reached the top of the first cliff and looked out at the many other crags I would have to soon climb. 

I heard the sound of wings cutting through air high above me and gazed to the source. A falcon circled high overhead. It was gliding on the breeze and staring down with piercing eyes. I gripped my bow tightly and considered taking it off and shooting, but the bird began to dive. It plunged through the air with its wings tucked close to its body. The raptor swooped down and dug its claws into the fat of my hare before lifting it away. Within seconds, my bow was off my back and I had released an arrow.

The bird dodged it, screeched mockingly, and devoured the rabbit in midair. I cursed and sent another flying but had the same luck. The falcon glided down and landed on the top of the cliff only a few feet away. My hands stopped on the top of another arrow and I slowly brought it down. The raptor had something strapped to its back. I had a message.

Years alone had made me cold and bitter. Made me forget the joy of company, and worst of all, love. I was only called on when it was desperate, when I was truly genuinely needed and never at any other time. No one dared contact me during anything less than the most dire times when my skills would be of use.

I snatched the letter from the hawks back and read it anxiously. Each word became more urgent and when was I was done my naturally emotionless face tightened.

There was a war coming and if nothing was done its flames would consume the world.