Chapter 16: Technique

Quite a number of days passed and Lemonpaw was well into her training with Olivetail.
As Lemonpaw padded into the clearing, she overheard Olivetail speaking to Jetstar.

"Lemonpaw is doing exceedingly well, she seems very adept with her hunting skills already. I think she's highly capable of being a successful warrior."

Jetstar dipped her head. "Thank you Olivetail, I trust you to train her well. The gathering is tonight and I need to choose which cats to take."

Wow. Lemonpaw thought. Could this be first official gathering? I never got the chance to go in Treeclan...

"Right then Lemonpaw!" Olivetail meowed suddenly, turning around to face her after Jetstar had left.

"Wha...what?! You mean you knew I was standing here all along?"

"Of course." Olivetail grinned. "If you wanted to mask your scent you'd be downwind." His tail moved absentmindedly.

"Oops!"

"Don't worry about it! Just remember if you are hunting or in an ambush. Also, eavesdropping is a little rude."

Lemonpaw hung her head and her tail drooped. "Sorry."

"No worries, you're still learning." Olivetail leapt out of camp without another word. He waved his tail to encourage Lemonpaw to follow.

Lemonpaw obediently obeyed the subtle signal and followed her mentor eagerly.

Once in the forest, Olivetail took Lemonpaw the small clearing where the cats practised their battle training and fighting techniques.

Lemonpaw looked around and shuffled her paws to move a ragged stick out of the way.

"Today, as you've probably already guessed, I am going to assess your fighting techniques. Let's begin by having a practice fight, claws sheathed." Olivetail's tail swished with excitement. "You may make the first move."

"Okay then." Lemonpaw nodded and poised herself in front of Olivetail, eyes focused.

She leapt forward and reached out to swipe at Olivetail's ears but he ducked suddenly and flipped round to the other side to land a blow on Lemonpaw's muzzle.

"Never turn your back on your opponent!" Olivetail yowled, landing yet another paw swipe, his claws tightly sheathed.

Picking up on Olivetail's technique, Lemonpaw swiftly dodged the next attack as he tried to land on her shoulder.

Lemonpaw rolled onto the grass and battered Olivetail with her forepaws.

"Good. You learn fast." Olivetail mused, raising his paws into the air while Lemonpaw was still on the ground. "But I think I still win this one.." He smirked and pressed her down.

Lemonpaw wreathed trying to break free from Olivetail's grasp. After a brief pause he released her.

Lemonpaw stood up and fluffed out her fur, shaking her tail out and rattling the bushes beside her. She gazed up to her mentor.

"Well done. Now let's move on to a few more complex and new moves, shall we?"

AN: I know it's short but I hope you liked it anyway! Lemonpaw's first gathering is next! Thanks again for reading!