(1) Blue To The Rescue

~And if you have to leave, I wish you would just leave. ~Your presence still lingers here and it won't leave me alone ~When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears.

*********

“So I can come in?” the boy asked Heather again, as if he didn’t believe her words.

She held the door open wider, motioning for him to follow, “Yes you can come in, silly! I already said you could!”

The strange boy Heather had found by the wood stepped into the house gracefully. His electric blue hair moved off of his forehead, into a combed back manner. Heather’s eyes widened and she let out a giggle, at that small movement. His slightly slanted eyes grazed over the modern house, slightly in awe.

He returned his gaze to hers, his hands politely clasped behind his back, “Are you’re… parent’s home?”

She nodded, excited to have tea with her new friend. “Mom is in the kitchen, baking—“

The boy motioned for her to be quiet with a finger, “Whisper,” he said gently.

“Why?”

“Heather?” her Mum questioned from the kitchen, “is that you dear?” Her heels clicked down the hallway, until she arrived before them. She wiped her hands on her apron and smiled, “Who were you talking to?”

“Him Mommy, I brought a...friend to play,” she replied, motioning to the boy at her side, who was studying Heather's Mother as though she were a foreign object. Heather realized at that moment that she never asked the boy his name.

The Mom laughed and squatted down to Heather’s level. “I see, and does this boy have a name?” she asked, looking at Heather and not the beautiful boy. Heather felt rather cross that her Mother was ignoring her friend and her gaze slipped sideways to look at him. Her Mother followed her child's gaze, looking at the empty space beside her.

The boy shifted uncomfortably under the two gazes. “My name is not important," he murmered.

“Heather?” the woman asked, fixing her dress, “what is his name?” she repeated.

“Weren’t you listening to him?” Heather retorted, angry that her Mother still ignored him.

“No, I guess I wasn’t.”

 “Well, he said his name isn’t important.”

The Mother stood up, adjusting her apron once again, “Oh ok, you two have fun. I will make some goodies for the both of you! Would you like some hot chocolate?”

The boy’s face brightened and he nodded slightly to Heather, but he remained silent.

Heather grabbed his hand, “Yes please, we will go play now!”  

Her Mother gave Heather a tight smile that didn't reach her eyes as her gaze grazed over where Heather had pronounced the invisible boy to be. She kept her face blank, only to express her worry when her child ran up the stairs, giggling with her new friend as if they were racing up the stairs.

*****************************************************************************

~Two weeks later-

“No, no! You don’t eat them!” Heather scolded the blue haired boy, taking the crayon out of his mouth. At first he looked angry that he couldn’t chew it. She noted that the boy is always hungry, and eats everything in their fridge, especially the chocolate milk which just so happened to be Heather’s personal favorite.

Although she still did not know his name, she called him ‘Blue’ because of his strange hair. After dinner on the first day she had brought him home, he had stayed until she had fallen asleep in her bed and when she had woken in the morning he was gone. She was very disappointed and had moped inside all day until her Mother had insisted she go outside. Imagine Heather's excitement when the boy had been waiting for her right by her swing.