(14) Hypothermia

Just a little something for being patient. ;)

Also, check out the awesome new trailer for the story on the side!! :))

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

"FASTER! MOVE FASTER, HEATHER!" Frost bellowed over his shoulder at me, practically gripping me by the arm to keep me at pace with him. Suddenly, I felt the urge to stop. We were heading towards the forest. He was taking me into the forest. Panicking, I tried to abruptly come to a halt in his powerful grasp, and ended up tumbling clumsily down the hill in my backyard.

            CRACK

            My ankle gave out and I fell, letting out a wail. Frost fell to the ground as well ahead of me, but to my utter horror, he had fallen because something had attacked him. There was a wet noise, a crack, and then whatever had jumped onto Frost was gone.

            Something breathed on my neck from behind, then lifted me up and attempted to throw me over their shoulder. But I spun around and kicked out at the last second with the ankle that I had hurt, nailing the shadow wherever I could and beating on them with my fists. Whatever it was, it was not shaped like a human, and it was barely effected by my blow.

            The shadowy monster grew at least twice its size and howled into my face, it's breath putrid and hitting me so hard that I fell back onto the ground.

            "Frost!" I shrieked, letting out a wail and grabbing my ankle. I had fallen awkwardly on it again, and this time, I was positive that I had broken it.

            CRACK

            The monster's head was at a strange angle now and it fell into a heap of its own lumpiness. I could make out Frost's silhouette where it had once stood. Strong, large, and deadly still like a predator.

            It was then I spotted the grouping of shadows rapidly coming towards us. Frost immediately lifted me up into his arms and inhumanly dashed into the forest, his legs eating up the distance with immense speed, faster than my mind could process. I looped my arms around his neck tightly, afraid he would somehow drop me and I would be left as a little snack for whatever was following us.

            Could it be, however, that whatever--whoever were following us were the good guys?

            "Don't look at anything darker than the sky amongst the trees, or in the bushes," Frost said to me, "they'll put you in a trance the moment you lock eyes with them!"

            My stomach turned as I took in one final look of the menacing trees above, before shutting my eyes and pressing my face against Frost's shirt. "This is worse than my first roller coaster! My only roller coaster, might I add!"

            "Better than being captured! Hold onto me tighter, Heather! You're sweat is making you slippery!"

            "I'm sorry that I'm not a freaking psycho that cracks monster's necks with one try! I'm a little nervous, here!"

            "If I drop you, you're dead!"

            Frost would regret ever telling me that once he saw the moon-shaped nail marks in his neck.

            I was quiet now, too terrified to speak my hectic thoughts, and anxiously waiting for my own virtual horror film to end. There were things chasing us that I hadn't even known existed -- not to mention, a mythical creature who I had, on the whim, decided to trust over the other guys.