twelve || elver

Elver pulled up in his drive and let out a happy sigh. Cathy immediately came out to bombard him with questions about how it went and he just smiled, driving her up the wall.

“Hi, Elver. Did it all go well? Good timing, supper will be ready soon,” his mother said as he sat down at the kitchen table, dumping his bag on the way. She was standing at the oven, stirring something in a pan.

“Oh, I’ve already eaten,” Elver said, feeling slightly guilty. His mother gasped and focused her attention on him

“Was it a romantic date? Did you kiss?” she asked.

“Mum! That’s personal business and no, I wouldn’t call the chippy exactly romantic,” Elver replied, half annoyed at his mother’s nosiness, half amused at her interest with his first meeting with a girl.

“I’m sorry, Elv, it’s just you don’t exactly communicate with girls, outside of Cathy and me,” his mother said, quite unhelpfully.

“Well, that’s all changing. I’m not going to be a fumbling, awkward boy any more, no. I will be a new person: girls will love me and in the end, Alaska will be begging for me.” Elver grinned and stretched his arms out.

“Good luck with that,” Cathy sniggered from the corner, receiving a light thump on the shoulder from her older brother.

“You could’ve told me you were eating out. I’ve made a chicken nosh and if it had gone badly, it would’ve been nice to have your favourite meal waiting for you,” his mother said, frowning.

“I’m sorry, Mum, but I’d only had ice cream and some toast all day and Alas-”

“Elver, I’m kidding, I love that you’re getting out there, meeting girls,” Elver’s mother interrupted, smiling. “I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks, I guess. Where’s dad?” Elver asked, suddenly realising there was no smell of coffee wafting round the house.

“Don’t talk to me about it,” his mother grumbled, “his work hours are absolutely ridiculous.”

“Oh, well, how about we all tuck up and watch a movie?” Cathy asked, clearly wanting a back to back movie session. It was a tradition they’d mostly grown out of since Cathy had hit her teens, occasionally revisiting it.

“Uh, I don’t know about that,” Elver said, but Cathy frowned and even their mother looked a little put out. “Ok then. Fine.” He smiled, he had to admit that he liked it when it was midnight, all the lights were out and they were curled up on the sofa, watching some eighties comedy.

“I don’t know, hun. You and Elver are welcome to, but I’ve got a lot of work to do and the laundry is really piling up,” Elver’s mother joked, then nodded to say she would love to. She and Cathy settled in with their supper while Elver chose a selection of films, knowing Cathy would want to get through at least two.

“So, you’re girls, you’ll understand. What is it about me that girls don’t like?” Elver asked. The two women, for Cathy didn’t like to be a girl, exchanged an amused glance then turned their attention back to Elver.

“Well, you’re good looking and you’re more than kind but you’re just a little, well, I don’t know, awkward,” his mother said uncomfortably, twisting her lips and squinting away from her son.

“I know I’m awkward. I know I’m no good at meeting new people and I always mess up in one way or another, but is that the only reason girls don’t like me?” Elver asked, a little hurt. He was sure most of his friends were awkward and plenty of them had had girlfriends. Cathy could see Elver was upset, so she quickly changed the subject.

“Hey, who says we get popcorn and ice cream, you can’t watch a film without snacks.”

Elver barely smiled. “I’m not really in the mood any more.  I’m going to my room.”

“Oh, Elver, I’m sorry, it was me, wasn’t it?” Elver’s mother said, looking like she was about to cry. “It doesn’t even matter anymore, hun. You’ve met Alaska, haven’t you?”

“I’ve got some, er, stuff I need to do. I’ll see you later.” Elver stumbled out of the room. The voice in his head told him to man up – his mother was right, what was he complaining about? Alaska hadn’t quite run away screaming. Still, he threw his pillow at the wall in anger and flopped down onto his bed.

“Alaska said that you’re alright,” he mumbled. Then he started laughing, choked laughter. “Alaska said that you’re alright,” he murmured again. “Alaska said that you’re alright.

Cathy came in at that moment, not bothering to knock,

“You alright, Elv?” she comforted. Elver rolled onto his back and took a deep breath, wiping away the laughter tears.

“I’m fine, I just had a little moment.” Elver smiled, knowing he was lucky to have Cathy. None of his friends would ever dream of sharing so much with their little sister, or even talking to her.

“Any girl who thinks you’re stupid is an idiot,” she said. “You’re clever and friendly, don’t go for girls who don’t like that. They’re the evil …” Cathy trailed off, not wanting to say anything too rude.

“Thanks, Cath, I don’t know what I’d do without you,” Elver said.

“Hey, don’t mention it, that’s what I’m here for,” she said with a shrug, pushing herself up onto her brother’s desk and kicking her legs. Her feet thudded against his drawers in a comforting rhythm. “Anyway, don’t you want to tell me all about Alaska?”

“Ah, you know me well,” he said with a sigh, putting his hands behind his head.

“Go on,” Cathy poked. So he did.