Chapter Three

Chapter 3

“I’m WHAT?!” I yell so loud the jug by the bed brakes. They both flinch at the sound.

“Don’t worry, when you wake up you will remember nothing except our names and that we are friends.” Jess finishes talking as Mikala flick’s her wrist and I am falling into darkness again.

I could tell I was home before I even opened my eyes. The smell of cookies drifted up the stairs and Josh had his music on to loud again. The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was our Yorkshire terrier Daisy. She was lying on my chest with her head between her paws looking at me. I instantly relax. It was just a dream I told my self as I looked at the clock. It was 7:30 and unless I was out of the house in 45 minutes I was going to miss the bus. I got dressed as fast as I could and was about to head down stairs when I saw what day it was. Friday13th. Instantly I felt cold. In the small square were the words Funeral at school 10:45. It hadn’t been a dream. I tried to think back but all I remember were two girls. One with green eyes called Jess and one with purple eyes called Makalu. I tried to think further back but the more I tried to the more I felt like I was going to faint. I grabbed hold of the door to steady my self. I was about to try again when mum appeared with a tray of breakfast.

“What are you doing out of bed? You have to rest.” Then she started to usher me back in bed. So I gave up, got back in bed and ate my breakfast. I know that unless I said something I was not going to school.

“What should I wear to the funeral mum?” When I said it, mum instantly froze. After she had sorted out my washing, made my bed and closed my cupboard door, did she speak.

“You’re not going Jasmine.” When I opened my mouth to protest she gave me the mum look.

“I nearly lost you once; I don’t want it to happen again.” As she said this her shoulders began to shake and big silent tears rolled down her face. I put my arm around her and gave her a big hug.

“Mum I have to go. Don’t worry; I’ll be with some friends.” I assured her. She looked up suddenly.

“You have friends? How come I never know? What are their names?” she asks sharply. I sigh and tell her.

“All right you can go on one condition. You invite Jess and Mikala over for dinner tonight.” She looks at me expectedly.

“Deal.” I said instantly. As it got closer to the time of the funeral mum helped me into a long off the shoulder black dress and her special shiny black high heels.      

“How do you know it is a formal event?” I ask slipping on the shoes.

“Your brother got the school news letter.” Mum said as if that should clear every thing up.

“Are you going to be there?” I ask suddenly needing my mum.

“Of course sweetie. Why, do you think you will need a mothers love to help get through it?” she ask with a worried look on her face.

“Maybe. But I don’t want to look like I’m about to cry.” I look at the floor ashamed of myself. Mum took my hands gently in hers and made me sit down.

 “When my granddad died I was a mess. My mum had to get me sleeping pills so I would sleep. The point is that you should not be ashamed to cry. If anyone teases you then they have not expressed their emotions,” She waited a second to let this sink in.

“Put these on the table when you get the chance.” As she said this she handed me the most beautiful white roses. Their petals glowed a luminous white, not a speck of dirt in sight.

“Come on Jasmine it’s time to go.”