Chapter Two

Chapter 2

By the time I reached Chemistry the teacher was deep in a lecture. I tried to get in unnoticed but suddenly my knee had collided with a desk. As I fell down in pain the class grew quiet and stared over my shoulder. As I turned around, dread coiled within a deep, dark pit of despair in my stomach.

There, standing in the doorway, was Alex Jones. I felt my heart start to beat tenfold. Then he gazed upon me crouched down low to the floor, unleashing his snow white teeth in a perfect smile. As he did this, I felt death’s cold hand upon my heart for an instant.

Suddenly I smelt toxic fumes billowing in through the open door as the chemistry teacher across the hall blew up the chair he was sitting on just moments before, nearly incinerating his eyebrows.  As the class ran out screaming I tried to move but my leg was frozen in pain. Suddenly I saw black dots scattered across my vision. As the chair erupted in flames blackness closed in. the last thing I saw was the flames spreading over the desks towards me.

 “Jasmine. Jasmine!” said the chemistry teacher. I looked around and realised that I was still standing in the doorway. Confused I made my way to a desk but hit my knee on a chair. Suddenly everything starts to happen like it did in my daydream. The chair explodes the fire comes at me but in staid of fainting I feel strong arms rap around me and carry me out of the burning building. It was at that moment that I really did faint without even seeing my rescuer.

When I came to I was in hospital. My first thought was that we might not be able to pay for the bills. My second thought was oh boy I’m in hospital. As I looked around the room I realised that there was someone asleep in the visitor chair.   

 “Alex?” The boy in the chair looked up so suddenly I hear his neck crack.

“You’re awake. Thank goodness, you’ve been out for 3 days!”

“WHAT! The last thing I remember is someone carrying me out of school. Was that you?” The question comes out before I can stop it.

“Yeah, I saw you on the floor and the fire was making its way towards you so I picked you up and ran like hell. I was just in time too ‘cause when we were 5 meters away the school blue up!” He could hardly contain his excitement at the last part.

“The school blew up?” I was shocked.

“Not really just the chemistry corridor. But I should tell you Jasmine, 12 kids died in the fire. Josephine Baker was one of them. The schools having a funeral in the gym on Friday. Will you be there?” He looked so cute all I could say was “we’ll see”. After that I fell asleep again.

When I opened my eyes I nearly screamed. Directly above me were two sets of eyes, one dark green and one dark purple. Then I looked at the faces they belong to and was about to call for help when a hand came down over my mouth.

“Don’t scream we’re not going to hurt you. But if you scream again I might tape your mouth shut!” The one with purple eyes said.

“Black magic you promised.” Green eyes exclaimed.

“Sorry about her. My name is Jess and this is Mikala.” Purple eyes, Mikala, slowly took her hand away from my mouth and glared at Jess.

“Why are you stalking me?” I asked them but not sure if I want to know.

“We can’t say.” Mikala says just as Jess opens her mouth. Very slowly she shuts it again.

“But we can tell you this. You’re in danger and we’re the only ones who can help you.”