Chapter Six

Chapter Six

'H-how did you? How could you...' she stammered. 'I over heard you and Toby. I wasn't eavesdropping, either. I was afraid of what he might do cause he was angry.' she lifted her hand to stop me. 'Its alright, i understand.' We just stood there. "Dorothy i knew you and Toby liked each other but i didn't know y'all liked each other this much.' She just laughed and looked at her stomach. 'We love each other.' I smiled at the word. I'd always imagine Lil' Toby all grown up with a wife and tot he loved but then it hit me. Dorothy ain't Toby's wife and that kid, no matter how much he loved it, ain't nothing but a death sentence. Dorothy must've seen the look on my face cause she frowned. 'I know what you're thinking, Esther. But we're gonna make it work. we will...' she looked unsure. A knock on the kitchen door caused Dorothy to jolt. 'It's just me.' whispered Toby. I opened to door to let him in. He nodded to me in thanks, 'Dorothy we need to talk.' he said '...in private.' he whispered to her, glancing over at me. 'She knows.' Dorothy said. Toby didn't seem shocked. 'Figures.' he said smirking. I hit the back of his head and laughed. Then his face went to serious. 'Dorothy, i want to apologize for my grandfather's behavior. He was out of line and i promise as soon as he leaves, we will sit down with my parents and discuss our situation.' he pulled her close. 'It's alright,' she replied. 'And i'm ready to tell them whenever you are.' They hugged and Toby put his hand on her stomach and kissed Dorothy on her forehead. Master stayed for the next four days. It was terrible. Every look and word from him put Toby on edge and made Dorothy shake. They had to be more careful with their affair. They had to be more secretive. It always seemed like Master was watching and that scared them to death...me too. Besides that Dorothy was getting bigger and it was pretty obvious considering she was as slim as a pole before. She ate often and got sick even more than that. I had to make extra dinner just to fufill her or keep her satisfied until she got hugry again. We started going grocery shopping twice as more than before. Toby would sneak her to doctors appointments. He'd tell his father he was going to apply to law firms. Dorothy , however, told Mista that her sick aunt needed her to take her to the doctor every day for some sort of treatment....Dorothy's family lived in Indiana, we lived in Mississppi. Matser would give both of them a side eye when they told their stories but let them go without saying a word. One day they came back from the doctor with news. 'Esther!' Toby said rushing into the kitchen like a little boy. 'We're having a girl! A girl! I'm gonna be a Pa!' 'Shhh!' i said while lowering my hands. 'Your Father and Grandfather are in the dining room discussing politics.' Toby shook his head excitedly. Dorothy stumbled into the kitchen holding her back in pain but a smile plastered on her face. She was just as happy as Toby was. Toby rushed to her side and helped her into a chair. 'Congradulations.' I told her. She nodded in thanks. The kithcen door slammed open suddenly. Toby shot from Dorothy's side. 'Toby!' greeted Master. 'I didnt know you were back....and what a surprise, at the same time as Dorothy.' he smiled an evil smile. 'Well, why don't we go in Father's office and discuss politics?' Toby lightly led Master out the kitchen. 'Wait a minute...' stopped Master. 'I would like to speak to Dorothy...alone.'