Chapter Fifteen

I almost dropped to the floor in fear to be completely honest, before remembering that this was a holiday party.

And one holiday in October is Halloween.

"Hello everybody, how did you all like that scare? In case you guys want the lights back on, someone has to go to the roof and press the switch. It may be a little slippery, to be honest." I smile at the sound of Trevor's voice, and although I can't see him, I know he has an evil grin on his face.

I reach into my pocket and almost grab my phone to turn the flashlight on first, but someone beat me to it.

"Dude, just get your glow stick out, you're ruining the vibe." I watch as the light disappears, and everyone cracks their glow sticks.

"I'll go turn the lights on!" We all cheer for whoever the voice belonged to, and begin to wait until we can all see again.

I feel someone grab my arms, all pull them away.

"Uh, what the heck? Who was that?" I ask, and swat the person as they reach for me again. This time I hear a groan, and instantly recognize the voice.

Devin.

"Dude, piss off." As I start to walk away my arm is grabbed and I'm pulled towards the wall. The next thing I know I'm pinned, and I yell curse words, telling him to get off of me.

"I know Shawn isn't your boyfriend, which means your still mine. So we can do this the easy way, or my way." His breath smelled like alcohol, and he must have gotten drunk before coming here.

"Go sit on a cactus and rotate." I spit, and right before I push him off the lights are back on, and I can finally see.

The first person I make eye contact is not Devin. And it's not April. Instead, the person that sees me pinned to the wall is someone I would never want to have seen this in a million years.

Shawn.

He stares at me for a few seconds, then looks at the floor and walks away.

And that's when my heart breaks.

Pushing Devin off of me, I end up making him fall to the floor. I've now gained an audience, but Shawn is nowhere in sight.

"Listen up, you freak," I yell, and by now almost everyone is watching, including April. "Don't you ever, ever touch me again, or I'm going to send you on a one way trip to the moon, am I clear?! You're a creep, and in a year or two I'll probably find you in jail. So go sober up, smack yourself in the face a few times, and understand that if you touch me, or any other girl that doesn't want you to, it'll be the last thing you do." I'm beyond furious, and the cheering and clapping doesn't calm me down. I sprint over to April, and take a deep breath.

"Do you knew where Shawn is? He kind of just saw Devin about to kiss me, and thinks something is going on. I need to talk with him."

April looks surprised, and shakes her head. "I don't have a clue. I'll look around though, you do the same. If there's no luck after we finish searching everywhere and I've called, we'll go back home. He's bound to come back." I nod my head and walk away, April going the other direction.

It took a while to search through Trevor's house, believe me. I walked into so many people making out that I lost count, and no matter what room I entered, Shawn wasn't anywhere. Finally I go to the front yard with April, and we're about to walk home before April stops and begins to stare at something. I turn to face whatever she was looking at, and could feel my heart drop. I went still.

In front of me was Jane and Shawn, both talking with each other. Shawn had a big smile on his face, and so did Jane. It could be any conversation, I know. And that was my excuse, to keep myself from falling on the floor an erupting in tears. But then I saw Jane start to twirl her hair. And when Jane twirls her hair, it mean in the next five seconds she was going to make a move, and they were going to start kissing.

And then I saw her lean in.

To be completely honest, I looked away. I turned my head and faced April, my eyes watering. Everything today had gone so wrong. And just when I thought it could be fixed, another pile of misery was dumped onto me. I couldn't fix this. Everything was finally turning right again, but that's not how life works. So as my lips started quivering April gave me a big hug, not looking at what was going on either. We hugged and I tried my best not to cry, because there were a bunch of other people around us that I didn't want to see me with tears streaming down my face.

"Netflix and ice cream?" April asks, and I nod, not wanting to speak. We walk all the way home and I try my best not to think about how sad Shawn looked when he saw me with Devin, or how happy he looked when he was talking with Jane.

I couldn't blame her, now that I think about it. She had no idea anything was going on, and Jane isn't the type of person that will go for another girl's crush or boyfriend. Especially not a friend's.

But I had to blame it on someone. So I did. I blamed everything on Shawn, from the moment he walked away from me when I was about to give him my birthday invitation up to now. It was all his fault. And I knew it wasn't, but it felt good to throw all the weight on someone else's shoulders. So as I sat in April's room eating Ben & Jerry's and watching Scream Queens, I focused on the Red Devil and my cookie dough, trying my best not to think about the boy with the brown eyes that caused so much trouble in my life.

_
ok I hit 1k reads ily guys sm !!!!