Lesson 4: Be You

Lesson 4: Be You

I reflected over the last week. I had been given three lessons, all of which I hadn't really gone through with. I had grown out of the bun I wore in my hair but I wasn’t wearing my hair down metaphorically, right? Like living for the moment, or just having fun and not fretting over anything and basically everything a teenager is meant to do, but it never seems to be the case because if a teenager was meant to do all of those things then we won't be pressured for the future. And smiling. There was a constant scowl that even my parents were curious about. And little Miss Nice Girl? Did I even have to go there? I had used up enough bitchy comments to last me a lifetime. Now Sandy has just told me to be myself. But who am I really? I knew what I wanted to do in life and I knew exactly how I could get there. I'm stubborn and very cynical. But aren't I much more than that? I thought I had gone through the self discovery era of my life years ago but now I'm not too sure. Do I even want to fall in love? Be married? Have children? Or am I too young to be thinking of that?

I rubbed my temple, wondering how to put my act into gear and regrettably thinking of Carter. Now, I wasn't in love with him or infatuated in any way. Even if Sandy told  me time and time again. Are we meant to be?

Okay, maybe underneath the cynicism I am a hopeless romantic of some sort but it didn't bother me. If I was to fall in love I would rather have it be done unconsciously than consciously. And if we're not meant to be and Sandy is wrong, who am I to associate myself with him in that matter?

Maybe I should just be friends with him and see if it escalates from there? Yes, I hated his rather presumptuous behaviour and attitude to women, but I knew when you get to know a person, when you befriend someone, you get to see what's really inside. I wasn't going to judge him, not yet anyway.

"Bree sweetie. You okay?" Mom asked me causing me to collapse back onto planet Earth abruptly.

"Uh yeah?" I responded, levelling out my voice and giving a smile.

"You seem awfully spacy dear. Anything you want to talk about?" She asked concerned.

"I just hate that part in the morning where I have to get out of bed and participate in life," I grumbled, that was more or less the reason of my train of thoughts.

Mom placed my pancakes onto the table in front of me and sat by my side. "Is everything alright at school? Making friends okay? How is that Sandy girl?"

"Oh. Everything is fine with school, Sandy is really nice and I've made some friends too. It's nothing. I think I'm just a little overwhelmed from the rush of the week," I explained. I stared at the pancakes, far too lazy to pick up the cutlery to start eating.

"Why are you awake this early on a Saturday?" Oh yeah. Why WAS I awake this early on a Saturday? Sandy. That's why.

"I have plans with Sandy and co," I told her honestly and scowled at the thought of it. The things I do for her.

"You don't look happy."

"It's a Saturday! Need I be awake at this time? I'm tired! It might end up being something stupid anyway!" I exclaimed. My mom nodded in understanding.

"Well you'll never know until you go, plus you did complain about not making friends. We haven't even been here a week and you already have plans. Good on you hon." I smiled, and wondered why I didn't I inherit my mom's optimism rather than my Dad's pessimism.

"True… Thank you for the breakfast too I better hurry up, Sandy wants to treat me like a human size Barbie doll."