Chapter Nineteen

“They’re not trying to kill us,” I announced, and just as I had expected I was met with a few grumbles, most citing the examples that would prove otherwise, like me and Greg.

   We were back in Connor’s office, cleaned up and clothed after our little expedition. Greg and Julie were the only ones absent from our group. The Dryads had brought Greg back to his house to recover and Julie followed after them. She wanted to stay with him just in case and would keep us updated on his health, she was the one who let us know that Kai and Lyoni were there to greet them, both to heal and get what information out of him if they could. He could be down for a while, Connor told me when we were cleaning up, he was sure he would survive but the silver poisoning would take its toll on his system.

   And to think, me and my half blood self had been shot with silver several times now-much to my regret- but I was able to bounce back within hours. I should have died for my bloodlines but over and over again it seemed to be more of a boon than a burden.

   “No she’s right,” a voice came to my defense, the one belonging to the presence that had replaced the rest of our expedition party.

   It was Jacquent in all his Elvin glory. He had arrived while we were still on our hunt, and none too happy to learn of it either. The first thing he did was curse us all out, saying that we tipped our hand by going there, that we would be lucky if they hadn’t already upped and left after being exposed. I guess we were supposed to have just turned around with what intel we had, not engaged the elves.

   Not that that had been the original plan, but I couldn’t regret my actions. I was sorry that Greg had been wounded but I garnered one very valuable piece of information by acting as I did. I found Maddie. I could see the relief on Steve’s face when I broke that news, but before anything else could be said that’s when Jack broke off in his tirade.

   I was commended for my bravery but I was also chided like a petulant child, I accepted the first but rebutted the second…earning me even more praise from Jack when I so readily disputed him.

   That’s when I was reminded about the shadow creatures he was traveling with and I took a quick step back from him before they decided I was too close.

   “If they wanted you to be dead then you’d be dead,” Jack continued on as he examined the arrow I had brought back. He had inspected the bullet Steve had pulled from my leg at length too, unfortunately he could give us no definitive information about it, he didn’t know what family those engravings belonged to off the top of his head. “Castda don’t miss,” he mumbled more to the table in front of him then any of us.

   Kayla, having not been around for the marksmen talk the first time spoke up, “how can you be so sure, that’s twice Anya has made it out of their sites alive.”

   With a huff Jack dropped the arrow to the table in front of him, flopping back against the couch and throwing his arms along the back. He said nothing, only shot her a deadpan look and crooked his wrists in, gesturing to himself.

   “You’re one of them,” I asked appalled. And he was in my house!

   “Whatever I was, I am not anymore,” he evaded neatly, the picture of casualness as he lounged on the leather sofa.

      Steve had tried to warn me about that when we came down earlier, that though elves may not be able to lie, Jack was very skilled in avoiding the truth. Everything about his appearance was meant to deceive, his casual dress in jeans and boots, the almost effeminate way he wore his long black hair, tied back in a leather lace, the friendly grin he greeted us with. Jacquent may be handsome but he was dangerous plain and simple and Steve didn’t want me to forget that.