Chapter Ten

Steve took off just like he promised he would when the distinctive sound of Connor’s truck roared up the driveway, followed quickly by the slam of a door.

   We had been standing at the rail of the balcony outside my room, just…talking. By the time I whirled around he was there, his back pressed against our door as he shut it behind him, those emerald green eyes finding mine. His skin was definitely darker then when he left, that tan so thick it left his skin a deep russet color, that stubbly beard almost disappearing in it. But oh if it didn’t make his glowing gaze stand out that much more. His chest heaved in what I knew couldn’t be exertion. Not for Connor, not for a wolf as fit as him, even through his dark blue jeans and gunmetal grey t-shirt you knew there was nothing but lean muscle there. No that heavy breathing was out of anticipation, out of need, not two flights of stairs.

   He was everything that embodied strength and power, love and adoration all in one. A combination that was beyond sexy to me.

   And he was all mine.

   I strolled back through the balcony door, closing that behind me I mirrored his stance, holding myself back even if every inch of my being craved to be in his arms.

   “Hey,” was all I got as he kept his distance.

   “Hey,” was all I could manage back, overwhelmed by the emotions running though me.

   “I…I missed you.”

   “I missed you too,” I matched his quiet tone.

   “Can I ask something of you?” his brow knitted together.

   “Anything,” I shook my head, “you know this.”

   He let out a long exhale and closed his eyes, “I need you, I need your skin against mine, need to know your flesh is whole but…I won’t hurt you, I promise you this but I will not be gentle,” glowing amber eyes met mine when he looked to me again, “not after…” he trailed off, “I just need to know you’re okay.”

   I said nothing. I gave him only a small smile and walked to the middle of the room, met him halfway as I stood beside our bed. Then I pulled his shirt over my head, leaving me standing there absolutely bare to his gaze, and after tossing it aside I held my open arms to him. Beckoned him in the way he had me so many times before.

   I wasn’t denied.

   He spared only a glance at the fresh bandages on my leg, then all thought was forgotten for the sake of pure physical sensation. Not a full counted minute and he was naked before me leaving my own self wanting, a moment after that our bodies were tangled amongst the sheets on the bed as he kept his promise to me.

   It wasn’t about quantity but quality because not twenty minutes after that we were both breathing heavy, our bodies both sated physically as well as spiritually as we lay still wrapped around the other.

   “I feel better now,” he breathed.

   “Me too,” I said as I snuggled into his side a little more. And it wasn’t because we had both gotten off, but simply because we were together. Less than twenty minutes in his company and already I could feel my mood leveling out.

   “I don’t think I could do that again,” he shook his head, “I used to think the only reason my mother went everywhere Aaron did was because she was following him around like a good female was expected…and I would never expect that of you which is why I went alone,” he paused and kissed the top of my head, “but now I understand.”

   He told me how tired he was, like he was carrying this heavy weight everywhere he went and it exhausted him. Then there was his mood, he was snapping at everyone, whether they deserved it or not. And though most didn’t think it to odd considering his steely disposition before my arrival, Mary had given him a few smacks when it was directed at her. I echoed the sentiment and he sighed, shaking his head.