Chapter Seven: Multi-Dimensional

Luna visited Orion's house and the glade frequently over the next week. They took walks around the city, talking to the townsponies and occasionally dancing in the town square. On one particular night, Luna and Orion met at his house. It really was a beautiful house. A grey townhouse, reminiscent of the Colonial Era of Equestria. White trim and two white columns on either side of the door accented the grey color nicely. When you stepped inside, you were immediately struck by the deep blue color of the walls and the lovely silver frames that adorned them, filled with pictures of events from Orion's life. There was a set of engraved doors at the other end of the room, which led into a pale grey hallway. Doors lined that hallway, leading to various rooms. Orion's room was at one end of the hallway, behind a blue door. The one Luna used was at the opposite end, with a silvery-white door. This was the room that Luna stepped inside now, easing her overnight bag down onto a blue chaise lounge. Honestly, for an artist, Orion did very well to be able to afford this house. Luna took a glance at herself in the mirror before heading to the dining room. It was a stately place. More grand than the humble kitchens of farmers, but more cozy than the enormous dining hall of the palace. A glass chandelier hung from the ceiling, and large windows allowed a beautiful view of the night sky. The meal was perfect, delicious but nor extravagant. After the meal, Orion cleared his throat. "I beg your pardon, Princess, but I have a bit of work to do. Feel free to explore. I won't be gone long." He smiled and bowed as he left the room. 

Luna decided to take him up on his offer. She laughed in delight as she discovered new rooms: a library, a small office. Then she found a room with only a silver staircase. Ah, this must be Orion's art studio. But at the top of the stairs, there were two doors. Not one, but two. Luna picked the door on the right, which was made of plain wood. Opening it, she saw what seemed to be an attic. It was rather large, and very cluttered. All around, there was an assortment of items: maps, paintings, old clothes. At least, so it appeared at first glance. As Luna looked closer, the maps did not have the Equestrian geography correctly, the paintings were of strange ponies that were also oddly familiar, and the clothes didn't look so old. Then Luna saw it. Tucked into an alcove of its own. 

A dimension-travel mirror. 

Luna only knew of one other in existence, and that one was locked away in Celestia's personal archives. This one was a little bigger, and the small stairs leading up to it were made from a substance that swirled with light. Cautiously, Luna stepped closer until she was standing on the steps of the mirror, looking into its surface. It was cloudy for a moment, then it cleared. It showed a grand throne room, very like the one in the Canterlot palace. But not quite. As Luna looked on, two alicorns entered her view. One was a tall, pale gold alicorn stallion with a red mane and tail and a neatly trimmed beard. The other was a barely recognizable Orion, with a black crown on his head and a black collar around his neck. The two appeared to be talking. The words began to drift back through the mirror:

"...Brother, you know I would not bring this to you unless I was sure about my choice."

"Orion, I would trust you with my life. I simply wish that this was a different time. With the evil that we are facing now, I fear that a bridge between the worlds would cause more harm than good."

All of a sudden, Orion looked up. If Luna didn't know better, she would have thought he was looking directly at her. Orion said something to the pale alicorn that apparently was his brother, and then began walking, seemingly towards where Luna stood. With a start, Luna realized that her vantage point was at the top of a set of stairs in the room of the alternate palace. Stepping back from the mirror, Luna sat down at the bottom of the steps. It was only a minute before the mirror'smirror's surface shimmered and Orion stepped through. He had retained his crown and collar, as well as his regal bearing. But that had always been there, hadn't it? Luna rose from her seat as Orion descended the steps. She locked eyes with him for a moment before dipping her head low.

"Greetings, Prince Orion."