Chapter 6: Emotional Phone Calls

• Dedicated to Visha Ahmed

CHAPTER 6:

I sat on the couch in deep thought. I anticipated of my next move.

I could go to my family... No! That put them in danger. Remember what happened last time...

I could stay here for a while... Nah. This guy is too annoying. It would be hell...

I could go to a hotel... Not safe.

I could run away and go to Brazil! Yeah! I've always wanted to that! Actually, I kinda want someplace familiar. Hmmmm...

"Dave." I called.I had asked him his name. He poked his head out of the room. "Yeah?" he said, looking bored. "I wanna make a phone call. Can I go down to the reception?" I questioned. "Mhm." he said, shutting the door. He was really getting on my nerves. I slipped in the elevator, and made my way to the main desk. "Can I please make a phone call? It's really important." I asked in my sweet and innocent voice, batting my eyelashes. The lady stared at me for a moment, scruntinising me. I kept my hopeful expression on. "Fine..." she said finally. She bustled around, grumbling about teenagers, and handed me the phone. "Five minutes." she said, turning her back on me. Stupid cow. I dialed the number, holding my breath nervously. I hadn't called this number for a very, very, very long time. It was best for everyone. 

"Hello?" The voice said.

"Mom?!" I cried.

"Vivian?!" Mom cried.

"Yes!" I shouted.

"How are you, darling?" she said, sweetly. It made my throat clench. I missed her SO much.

"I'm good. You?" I said, swallowing. 

"Fine. Why don't you call more often? I thought you were mad at us! Is everything okay?" she asked worriedly.

"Yeah, yeah. How is everyone?" I said, casually. I was referring to my brother and sisters. They were all older. They had kids I'd never seen. All because of the agency. It was dangerous for my family to keep close contact with me. 

"Oh, they're good. Melissa just had a baby last week. It's a girl!" Mom said, warmly. Melissa was my second eldest sister. She had one other kid. Did I mention I'd never seen them?!

"Oh, congratulations." I said, swallowing the big lump in my throat. I wanted to cry.

"It's wonderful. How about you visit, honey? It's been so long since I last saw you. Almost four years." she said, her voice going soft. I felt one tear slip down my cheek. I couldn't put them in danger. I cared about them too much. They didn't even know why I couldn't. I had to act like I didn't love them much. It was for their own good. 

"I can't. Too busy." I said, giving a fake chuckle. 

"Your father and I were thinking maybe we could visit. That would be fun." she said, hopefully.

"NO!" I yelped, stupidly. She was silent for a moment. I could tell she was hurt. I felt myself die a little.

"Oh, okay. That's fine. Don't want to trouble you." she said, her voice strained. She was crying. It broke my heart into tiny little shards. And my soul weighed down with guilt. I was making her cry! Me! I hate myself. I hate that STUPID AGENCY!

"Aw, don't cry. I can't have a distraction." I said, shrilly. I whacked my forehead. I just called family a distraction. I HATE MYSELF! 

"Erm, I gotta go. Bye mom." I said quickly, hanging up. I couldn't hold it in, I started crying. The receptionist smiled sympathetically and gave me a tissue. She does have a heart. But I don't. My tears flooded down my cheeks. 

I made my way into the apartment, crying loudly. "What the hell happened to you?!" Dave said, rudely. I cried louder, sitting on the couch. I also made some unintelligable sounds. Something along the lines of: "Mahy layf sucheds". Which means, my life sucks.

 "Ummm...okay? Stop crying, please." he said, his voice panicked. It made me laugh a little. I stopped my waterfall, sniffling sadly. He was panicking. Haha! 

"What should I do? Tissue? Food? Chocolate? Music? Ermm..." he muttered, throwing me a tissue box. It bounced off my forehead, setting off my waterworks again. He groaned, sitting on an armchair and covering his ear. I cried for a while, lettign my tears out. I gave a few hiccups and pulled my knees up to my chest. I sniffed. "Sorry." I said. 

"S'okay." he said. "I'm gonna go back to the room. You can sleep here." he said, walking away. HOW RUDE! He was making me sleep on a couch! What a gentleman! Idiot!

I caught a blanket he hauled at me, snuggling comfortably. And before I knew it, I was asleep.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

HEYYYYYY! This was a long-ish chapter, but I liked it.

Warning: Updates might come slower. 

Anyways, I hope you guy enjoyed it, I'm off to sleep. TOODLES!

I