Chapter 16

There was a rushing sound in my ears, blocking out all other sounds. My eyes simply drank in the sight of him, all other objects abandoned. There was a zing running through my blood, a yell of pure exultation, bouncing in my mind. Everything felt surreal and yet everything felt right. It was almost as if I could wake up and all my nightmares were just that- a dream.

All I could do was stare at this boy, just look at him. My heart sang and I felt such a joy that I had discarded since the beginning of the second Stage. When you discard all hope, you waste all happiness. But someone had returned to give me a morsel of it back.

Liam.

A smile broke out on my face, something that almost felt foreign but in the presence of someone I never expected to see again- it felt right. As our eyes met, Liam smiled too. With that simple smile, the one I had missed for so long, I knelt down by his side and pulled him into a hug. 

He felt the same, the kind of warmth that I had missed. The way my head rested on his shoulder, how his arms encircled my waist. It wasn't a boyfriend I had wanted back, it was a friend. One that had helped me through some of these difficult days.

"I've missed you so much," I whispered. "So, so much." 

"I'm just glad to be back," Liam said. I wanted to stay in our embrace forever, to savour every moment of it. But, soon, far too soon, Liam took a deep breath and pulled away. 

"How sweet," Raxis mocked, his eyes flashing with scorn. "The lovers reunited." I turned my gaze away from Liam towards Raxis, a tiny shred of darkness entering this bouquet of light in my mind. With one part of the deal accepted, the other must be completed. Now it was my turn.

"Well Danielle, we have some business to conclude," he said briskly.

I nodded slowly, the heartfelt joy coming down a few notches. Yet again, I had to endure pain, but of another kind. Under our agreement, I had to finish our deal- by surrendering choice memories to Raxis, where he sucked them dry. My memories would then have a dark taint besmirching them, every memory overshadowed by Raxis's mark.

The process would be painful, god knows how painful. Fear flashed through me, the kind of fear that I didn't let myself show because it was another part of me that he could exploit.

"Wait a second," Liam said. "What 'business'?"

I paused, unsure on how to explain. However, before I could even open my mouth, Raxis beat me to the punch. 

"Well, Liam," Raxis smiled. "Quite a lot happened while you were....what was it again? Oh, yes- dead. Would you like me to explain?"

Liam drew me closer and we sank to the floor in unison. Raxis continued standing and began to pace up and down.

"Well, let's see," Raxis said. "As soon as Danielle and Renala, Rento or-"

"It's Renae," I cut in, annoyance running through me. 

"Oh, yes, her," Raxis replied indifferently. "Well Danielle and her little friend ran off to the sick bay as soon as they found out about how my pet monster nearly killed you, causing quite a scene and doing the whole crying and wailing. It was quite entertaining, really."

I glared at Raxis in disgust and Liam's jaw clenched, his hands balling into fists.

"Get to the point," he told Raxis with gritted teeth. Raxis gave a small, malicious smile and continued on.

"Well after a broken agreement where I got to torture her endlessly for one week straight," Raxis smirked. "A servant of mine, went to retrieve her for me, after the first servant being refused and then she came. Oh, and she punched the servant in the face at the end- quite entertaining."