Chapter Ten

X

Saturday, May 19th 2012

Ascot, Brisbane

8:13 AM

Junie sighed and lifting the duvet cover over her head, she tried to go back to sleep. However that attempt was disrupted at the sound of the door creaking open and her boyfriend trudging into the room. He shouted at the top of his lungs, his deep voice bellowing and shooting right through her as he told her to wake. She heard his footsteps storming over to the bed and he abruptly tore the covers off of her.

"Junebug," he said, "Rise and shine, it's time to get up."

She rolled onto her back and groaned, "Do I have to?"

He nodded, "Yep, you can't spend the rest of your life in bed."

"I can try," she grumbled. She blinked, her eyes fluttering open and meeting her boyfriend's expectant gaze. His eyes were bright and blue and there was a grin just as bright plastered on his face. She had always loved his eyes, so trusting and cheerful and bluer and deeper than any oceans. His dark hair was a coiled mess, sticking up in the most ridiculous way.

Junie's eyes slowly wandered down his bare torso to the grey sweatpants that slung dangerously low around his hips and she swallowed.

"When you've finished checking me out," he said, that grin morphing into an arrogant smirk, "you can get up."

Junie blushed. She lifted the pillow from underneath her and placed it over her face.

"Shut up," she mumbled and she heard him laugh, soft and melodious. The mattress creaked and lowered as she felt Dylan slide in beside her. He pulled the pillow away and shuffling closer, he pressed a soft kiss to her cheek.  

"You're too cute, Juniper," he grinned.

"Dylan, you idiot," she chuckled as she kissed his cheek too.

"That's why you love me."

She grinned at him, "Yeah, it is."

He rolled on top of her, sinking them lower into the bed and grinned widely, "Happy birthday, Junie."

And with that he kissed her. It was light and tasted of all things sweet. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer, she heard him let out a soft moan.  Sugary warm currents of sunshine filled her mouth. The sweetness soon melted into a spreading warmth. And soon into a heart quickening heat as the kiss deepened and she buried her fingers in his messy dark hair. Their breathing was hard and shallow when they finally pulled apart.

"You should sleep here more often," he said.

She nodded in agreement, "Planning on it."

Dylan's parents had gone to some remote village in Ireland for two weeks. He had made the most of their absence by inviting Junie to spend the nights at his house. The sleepovers were just like the ones they had when they were kids with popcorn, sweets and action films except with some added flirting and kissing.

Sometimes, she wondered if he had done with this Helen when they had dated. She tried to push those thoughts away because they were stupid and irrational. She knew he wouldn't have. She could see it in the way he could barely contain his excitement when they were together. It was different. They were different.

"Well," he said licking his lips, "Can you sleep here tonight?"

She had a few essays to do but they were not due until next month. She ran her fingers through his hair, loving its silkiness. "I will, if you can tell me what day it is next Friday."