Chapter Two

Wednesday, May 19th 2004

Fortitude Valley, Brisbane

4:15 P.M.

Last week, Junie's school had announced that it was starting a class for gifted children. Students with the highest scores in the upcoming tests would qualify. There were twenty places in the class for each subject and Junie was determined to make into either Maths or Physics.

She knew she could it, because honestly, a good portion of the students at her school weren't too bright. Junie knew she could easily get in one of the gifted classes. All she had to do was study hard for the impending tests and she was in. Of course, that was easier said than done. She always had problems concentrating, especially a warm day like this. Junie flicked through her physics textbook, trying to find the page on electric currents. She sighed and wiped the sweat from her brow.

It was scorching hot in her bedroom, the air was humid and damp with the faint scent of cigarettes.  Too much of the afternoon light had flooded in, it drowned her in its blistering heat, making it hard to focus on anything. She would pass out if this heat continued. Junie slid off her bed and started to stretch her arms and legs and once the feeling in her limbs returned, she yanked the curtains shut. It killed all the burning sunlight that had flooded the room.

She slumped back down onto her bed, and went back to reading the textbook. Now, electric currents --

"Junie!" Audrey shouted from downstairs, making her jump. "Junie!"

She sighed, closing her eyes for a few seconds before she answered. "Yeah?"

"Come down!" she ordered.

Junie slid off her bed and opened the door. She trudged down the creaky steps, wondering what Audrey could possibly want. In the kitchen, she found her mother leaning against the counter, a lit cigarette in her mouth and a glass filled to the brim with whisky in her hand. She pulled the cigarette from her mouth.

"Junie, my little darling," she said, blowing out a puff of smoke. "I need you to buy me a packet of cigs."

Junie fought an exasperated sigh. It was no secret that Audrey Bennett was an avid smoker and drinker. Junie would say her mother was an alcoholic but the last time she'd said that, she was given a look that meant she was five seconds from getting smacked if she didn't get out of her sight. She couldn't go a day without an alcoholic drink or her hourly dose of nicotine. If she didn't get it then she would snap and hiss at anyone who dared to come within three feet of her.

"Who's gonna sell me cigs? I'm underage," said Junie.

Audrey gave her a pointed look. She took a long gulp of the honey-coloured whiskey and let out a satisfied sigh. She said, "You know the charity shop next to the post office on Wickham Street?"

Junie nodded.

"There's a convenience store between the two," Audrey said, "just ask for a guy called Pete and tell him I sent you, he'll give you the cigs."

Junie frowned, "Audrey, I –"

Her mouth twisted into a scowl. "How many times do I have to tell you?" she snapped, "Stop calling me that. I'm your mum, so call me Mum."

Perhaps if she started acting like a mother, Junie might just consider it. Audrey pulled out a handful of cash from her purse and passed it to her daughter.

"There's eighty dollars," she said, sucking on her cigarette and letting out another cloud of smoke. "Buy three bottles of Lombard Whiskey, four packets of cigs, two packets of painkillers, and....a pack of apple ciders."