Chapter 37: Fireworks, Booze, and Cigarettes

“So we decided to move to the countryside for a couple years and come back when May gets a little older.” He explained to the gang.  “We leave in two days.”

They all had the same look on their faces.  The look like ‘you really aren’t kidding?’ All six members were all seated around Sodapop and I who were standing.  They all had the same posture too.  Each boy had his knees apart, arms resting on their thighs or crossed, and a dazed expression. 

After a long time of silence and exchanges of looks, Two-Bit spoke up for the group.  “Well, if your leaving better do it right.  We’re going to throw both y’all a party and get drunk and it’ll be the best goddamn going away party you’ll ever have.”  They all nodded in unison. 

Darry agreed but of course had to make a suggestion, “It ain’t gonna be here that’s for sure.” 

“I know an abandoned house three stories high that we can use.  It’s ‘bout a block away.” Dally said. 

“I’ll take care of the booze.” Two-Bit pleasantly decided.

“Ponyboy and I’ll do decorations.” Johnny piped in.

“I’ll take care of the electrical and firepower situation.” Dally eyed coolly.

“I’m on the invites.” Steve accepted. 

With that they were off destined to make this a night to remember as they wished their childhood friends goodbye for what they thought was the last time.

May was at home with one of the neighborhood girls while Soda and I set out on foot down the street.  The pavement sparkled with each crack like after it rains.  It was pretty peaceful until we reached the house with a million Christmas lights hung around the outside and hundreds of high school greasers. 

We reached the front steps of the house after pushing through the sea of bodies all drinking and dancing and walked through the threshold to find even more people and even more booze and even more lights.  The crowd was filled with leather jackets, tank tops, and red lipstick.  I swear I saw a stripper walk by.  The atmosphere was electric and heart racing.  We found Two-Bit and the gang hanging around the staircase directly across from the door and scooted over to them.  Most of them were drunk and the others were nearly there. 

“How ya like the party huh?” Two-Bit hiccupped still with it, “Pretty fancy?  I think boys we nailed it?  Speaking of nailed, where’s that blonde chic?” He said looking over his shoulder. 

Steve handed me a choice of a cigarette or beer, so I took the cigarette and he gave me a light.  “Now y’all are gonna get me drunk!” I shouted over the music.  I knew Soda wouldn’t drink, so atleast I had him to count on but I only Steve taunting him with the beer I declined.  Two glasses later, I now have a drunk Sodapop. 

A shirtless oversized guy came barreling down the stairs in a sled wearing a sheet around his neck holding up a red cup splashing with beer.  He reached the bottom and kept going until he reached the grass outside and was greeted by a chanting crowd.

The gang scattered all doing their separate things and I headed for the dance floor.  I had complete faith in Sodapop knowing that he’d be careful with the beers and I also had complete faith in Steve for making sure he looked after Soda because I doubted myself before. 

I eventually found where the dancing was going on and jumped right in.  With every jerk I made, the crowd followed.  The house boomed with rock n’ roll and nobody could stop dancing.  I think we got everyone in that part of the house to join along.  One girl had the courageous idea to jump off the railing of the stairs to crowd surf and when she fell we all pushed her right back up and she moved to the other side over the sea of hands. 

I had my hands on a lot of beers and resided myself in the kitchen doing shots with Jordy and Dally doing tequila shots.  I felt my face pucker with every ounce.  Dally excused himself and we saw him disappear into the crowd.  I was seeing double at this point, so I imagined him following a girl. 

A loud snap occurred outside on the lawn and everybody flooded the front yard trying to see what was happening.  Dally and a couple of his buddies were lighting backyard firecrackers off shooting them up in the air.  One made a loud squeal and a gold steam shot up and exploded silver sparkles, one canister poured out with flares of red and blue, while a rocket launched into the darkness only to burst open with green flickers. 

Soda found my shoulder and propped himself up.  I looked down at his head, which began to lower like he was falling asleep.  I jostled my shoulder and he raised himself up a bit to look up at the fireworks then at me.  “Now I know why I don’t drink.” 

Some people can handle their liquor better than others and Sodapop doesn’t like it that much because everyone already thinks he’s drunk at parties, but he’s really not just enjoying life.  This time he really was drunk and I think he’ll be sober for a while. 

The party kept raging on and one until the sunlight started to blend with the lights around the house.  People started stumbling back home and to their cars while the others camped out inside.  Steve, Two-Bit and Dally were still trying to carry on the festivities, but the rest were gone probably in bed.  I decided to round up Soda and we set off on the walk of shame all the way home until we reached the gate stumbling like madmen.