Chapter 26: A Place To Escape

“Hey baby, what’s a fine lady like you doing in slob hole here?” A dark greasy hair guy around twenty asked me.  He leaned up against the bar and faced towards me.

I took a swig of my beer and huffed, “Nothing that has to do with you.”

“Feisty, just the way I like ‘em.”  He cocked a smile, “You’re eyes really have a nice sparkle to them.  It’s like someone stole the stars and put them in your eyes.  You have any plans tonight baby?” 

“Not with you.”

“C’mon now, I know you don’t mean that.  Let’s go talk somewhere a little more… private.” He said taking my hand. 

I pulled my hand back and slapped him across his face. He replied by smiling and placing his hands on my hips.  His hands kept going lower and lower and the only other guy who’d ever done this was Soda.  I pushed him back, knocking him into a bar stool and stormed out of the bar.  I didn’t care if it was the middle of the night or if some Soc was going to drive by, I just wanted to think.  My mind trailed back to the time I rode on Soda’s handlebars.  He tried to bike me to the convenience store on the corner to buy milk and we fell over atleast six times.  It was the happy memories that kept me going.  I’ll admit I was getting bad. 

I hadn’t noticed that I was walking through various alleyways and I especially didn’t notice that the guy from the bar was following me. 

“I really didn’t appreciate that scene you caused back there.” He said.

“I didn’t appreciate what you pulled either.  Why don’t you just leave before things get ugly.” I snapped back at him. 

“Why don’t we just settle this,” he said as he got closer.  He put his hand on the button of my jeans.  I started to struggle trying to push him off of me, but he was like an anaconda. 

“Get off!  You son of a bitch.” I screamed into his ear.  I felt the pressure of another body on top of mine disappear.  I stayed pinned against the wall as I saw Dally beat up the guy.  Muffled curses echoed through the alley; Dally came up next to me and started to pull me into a jog out into the street. 

 He pulled out a cigarette and handed one to me, “You okay?” 

“Yeah, I had him though.”

“I could tell by the way he had you jammed next to him.” He responded, “Are you still thinking about… you know?  It’s been a month.  Don’t you think it’s been long enough?” 

“No.” I said simply.  “You haven’t been in love with someone like I have.”

“Sure I have.”

“No, I mean to the point where it hurts to be away from them.  Then imagine if you know you can never have that person next to you ever again.  Knowing that they will never sleep next to you again, never cuddle with you again, and never kiss them again." 

He turned his head to me, “Why are you all soft now?  You were the toughest girl and now you’re the weakest.” 

“I’m not soft and you’re one to speak.  I mean whenever you’re around me you get all quiet and gentle.  What’s that all about?” 

He leaned in towards me.  I felt his nose touch mine and his lips come closer, but I kept backing away.  Dallas backed up and looked confused. 

“Dally, I can’t.  I’m not over Soda and I may not ever be over him.  It’d just be weird if we kiss.  You said it yourself I’m like your little sister and I’m okay with that.” The words panicked out of my mouth.

He smiled, “Cool down, Colly.  I like you and all, but I like things just as friends.  I see that you’re not ready to move on.” 

“So, this was all a test? Who thought of it?” I asked. 

“Yes and no.  It meant nothing.”  Dally said.

I smiled and said my goodbyes and fell asleep in my bed.  Dally had always been on his ‘best’ behavior whenever he was around me.  I knew he cared about me and watched out for me.  He’d never try anything like that, so I understood that he was making sure if I was getting better.  The answer was no.  After four years falling in love with Sodapop, people expect me to get over him in a week. 

I had to work the next morning.  I got up for my eight o’clock shift and took a quick shower, threw on some makeup, and pulled on some clothes.  I got to the Dingo and punched in.  Plates full of buttermilk pancakes and bacon cluttered my arms.  Work actually took my mind off things. 

Normally when things bother people, the get away from it, but when you’re trying to get away from you’re thoughts… you’re trapped.  You’re trapped inside your mind and becoming crazier ever minute.  People say it must be horrible to not be able to get away from something that hurts you; they have no idea. 

I laid on the couch, stretched from end to end with my eyes closed.  The fan rotated from the ceiling blowing cool air overtop of me.  I watched it for hours spin and spin, focusing on that one propeller and following it with my eyes.  A car engine roared pass the house then turned off.  Immediately I thought it was Darry, but I didn’t sound like him.  I sat up and looked out of the window. A jolt electrocuted my heart and I sprinted off the couch and out the doors.  I ran down the sidewalk, threw back the wired gate, and jumped into his arms. 

“Hey baby, it’s all okay now.” His voice soothed me.

I locked my hands around his neck and drooped my head into his shoulder.  I felt his arms wrap around me and it felt like we were strangers all over again.

“How?  How Soda? They said you were dead.” I begged. 

“I’m here now baby, it’s all okay.” He kept saying.  He pulled me into him and kissed me like it was our first. 

It had been a year.