Chapter 7: Something More Than a Card Game

The next day went by pretty quick.  I slept over at the Curtis house the night before because my mom was yelling at me for always coming home late, so I didn’t go back that night.  In the morning, I went to school by myself; it was different not having Ponyboy walk with me, normally we always walk together since our houses were a couple blocks away.  The school was more divided now than ever and all I could think about was how this whole situation of Bob getting killed and Ponyboy and Johnny was all the socs fault.  Its their fault Ponyboy and Johnny had to leave town, its their fault Johnny killed Bob, its their fault there’s even going to be a rumble.  I made my way through the school day having to leave halfway through my last class to make it to my shift at the Dingo on time. 

“Where have you been?! You are thirteen minutes late!” Sally shouted at me.  I love Sally and all, I mean she’s not only my boss, she’s like my sister, but at times she can be a pain in the ass.

“I’m thirteen minutes late, I had school.  In fact I cut class just to be here!” I shouted back.

“I am your boss and I will not be talked to in that tone!" 

“You’re my boss, not my mother!”

She looked at me for a while.  Sally was a grease too when she was younger, so she knows our situation. “I care about you and you need to learn that when you have a commitment, you deliver upon that commitment.”

“Sally I know that, you don’t need to keep on telling me twice,“ where have I heard something like that? “Do you know Darrel Curtis?”

“Thank handsome guy that roofs houses? Yes, what’s it too ya?” she replied.

“I think you two might hit it off.”  I told her.

“And why do you say that?”  She raised an eyebrow.  I could tell she was interested.

“Because you have a lot in common with him.  I could get him to swing by here and I can introduce you.” I said trying to catch her interest.

She nodded. “Get to work.” 

I couldn’t help but smile.  They both have that nagging instinct. ‘They must be a perfect match’ I thought to myself.  I finished up my shift at 9 when the diner closed and headed for the Curtis household.  The lights were on and you could hear yelling coming from the house two blocks away.  I shuffled up the steps and swung open the door. 

“Hey y’all! Why you guys so loud? I could hear you two blocks away.” I said to the gang as I threw my sweatshirt on the couch.  They were sitting around the table playing cards. 

“Aces!” Dally yelled as he scoops up a pile of money and cigarettes from the middle of the table.

“What’s up Colly?” Darry asked looking over his shoulder.

“Not much.  Do you know Sally Henderson?” I asked him as I sat down next to him and Dally.

“That girl who is the manager of the Dingo? Yeah, I’ve seen her around.”  He replied drawing a card from the deck.

“Do you like her?”

“She’s okay.”

“C’mon, you think she’s cute?”

“Yeah, she’s not bad on the eyes.” At this point Darry was blushing.

“Stop by the Dingo sometime and I’ll introduce you two.” I drew some cards from the deck and joined the poker game.  I threw in ten dollars. 

“Fold.” Steve said with defeat.

“I’ll raise you two Dal.” Two-Bit said cocking a smile.