Leather Kisses. 28

I wanted to wait a few more days before posting this but I know you're all eager to read, so here you go! I hope to see lots of feedback, yo!

---

Day One of Trial 

Alex Frank Marks died three days later. The doctors tried what they could, but they were unable to stop the flow of blood to his chest. Blood transfusions were just not enough to keep him alive. The funeral was the day before our court date. After a touching, emotional ceremony, the three of us were more blood thirsty for revenge than ever before. 

"I'm going to make sure Blake pays for this, for all of this," Dean had whispered to me as they had lowered his brother into the ground. "If it's the last thing I do."

Now, as I dressed in my blouse and pencil skirt for my court appearance, I thought of Alex who was looking down upon us, giving his blessing. I stared at myself in the mirror, studying every inch of my face. I didn't look much different, but I felt different. It had been a long journey, and I had come to the end of it as a changed person. I no longer lived within a shell, within a stereotype, but now lived on my own accord. 

There was a knock at the door. 

"Come in," I called, putting down my hairbrush.

My mother, who I had avoided for the past few weeks, came in and sat on my bed. She was still in her sleeping attire; fuzzy pajamas and curlers.

"How are you feeling?" 

I made eye contact with her in the mirror. "Nervous." 

She nodded. "It's normal to be. I just want you to know that . . . whatever happens, I'm proud of you."

I smiled meekly. Although it wasn't much, her words had touched me. Our relationship had never been loving or tender, so just to hear her say that was a big step for us.

I turned to face her. "Thanks Mom." 

"Be strong, okay?"

"I always am," I replied, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

"I know you are," she beamed. "You always have been." She paused, and looked at me with glimmering eyes. "Well, I better let you get ready."

I bit down on my bottom lip. "Okay," I replied as she went out the door. 

Flopping onto my bed, I tried to calm the butterflies that rested in the pit of my stomach. This was really happening, the day I had waited so long for was finally here. It was overly exciting yet terribly frightening. 

My father beckoned me to the car, causing my emotions to stir. The hour long car ride proved to be a nightmare, as it appeared that we couldn't get there fast enough. By the time we did actually arrive, I felt like I was going to explode. Dean was promptly early, waiting for us in the parking lot. Dressed in a casual suit, he looked even better cleaned up. I hopped out of the car, and walked towards him, letting him plant one on me right in front of my father. 

"Are you ready?" He quietly asked. He had been such a good sport through all of this. He stood before me with an encouraging grin on his face when his close brother had just died days before. I would never quite understand how he was able to pull himself together for me. 

I sighed. "More than ever." 

"You're going to be great, I know it," he exclaimed, kissing me again.

"I hope so." 

With my loyal boyfriend and supportive father by my side, I was ready to tackle this lawsuit head on. Together, all three of us marched into the court house, proud, determined, and strong. The high ceiling above us and the light that beamed through the stained glass windows gave us hope for a brighter day. As soon as the doors opened, we hurried to our seats. My father and I on one side, with Dean sitting directly behind us in the audience.