Trigger Happy

The hallway echoed with the sound of my footsteps. It was oddly empty, I seemed to be the only one out and about in the area. I knew that I was slightly early for my meeting with Shayla, but to be entirely honest I had nothing better to do.

As I came to the doors of the Training room, I stopped. They were much different from the doors we have in the dorm. Made of clear PlexiGlass, so you were able to see inside but not able to break through. You'd be surprised how many trainees crash into them. It happens far more often than it probably should.

I peeked inside and noticed that Shayla was inside talking to a tall brunette, whose hair was in a tight ponytail at the base of her head. The Director wore a long Black Trench coat over a grey shirt and pants that were a moderately lighter shade. Her mouth was moving quickly and she was making many different hand gestures. It was obvious that she was pissed.

The woman in the ponytail turned and I recognized the face of our Weapons Specialist, Diana Perault. Her face was contorted in exasperation as she stormed away from Shayla. Her mouth was still moving and I could tell she was muttering under her breath.

When she finally reached the door and walked into the hall, I could clearly see her face. Her normally perfect cream-colored skin was now red, either in anger or frustration. She seemed to be far more than just tense and apprehensive. Her fists were clenched, nails digging into her palms. Whatever her and Shayla had been talking about was not a pleasant subject.

She took a deep breath and briefly glanced at me, "Good luck in there kid." She walked off, making the halls echo again.

I stood motionless in the doorway. Shayla was in the middle of the room with her forehead resting on the space between her her thumb an forefinger. Still unsure of what to do, I stayed where I was, trying to be as silent as possible.

"Are you just going to stand in the doorway the whole time or are you going to come inside?" She hadn't looked up.

Hesitantly, I walked in and stood across from her. I noticed that in her right hand, she held a large Manila envelope. After a loud inhale and exhale, she picked her head up and looked at me. The frustration was clear, but she seemed much calmer than she previously was. She handed the envelope to me.

I gave her a quizzical look and slowly began opening it. There was a thick stack of papers inside.

"Okay Ms. Hex, this is a new case that I just received from Agent Marano" Agent Marano was the Institution's government official. He provides our cases, handles all of the paperwork, and whatnot. He passes the cases to Shayla and she gives them to us.

I thumbed through the papers. They were various credit check papers, bills, phone history, copies of credits cards and identification, social security stuff, practically anything on this person in paper. I pulled out the copy of the ID; Albert Fineman was apparently a rogue CIA officer.

I looked back up at Shayla questioningly, " Why are you giving this case to me? Storm or Luna normally take on the RGO cases." RGO stands for, "Rogue Government Official".

Shayla looked surprised, "Well I'm sure Ms. Vega would be more than happy to take on this case." She reached to take the envelope from me.

I pulled it back, "Wait, no I want it."

"Good." She started walking towards the doors, "Take Ms. Morgan and Mr. Montez with you for back up"

Once she was gone, I sat on one of the blue training mats and began studying the contents of the envelope. I didn't typically take RGO cases, there was something about killing an officer, rogue or not, that bothered me. My cases were always criminals; drug lords, murderers, etc.