Chapter nine ↠

"Maybe we just shouldn't go to Fiji then, since you aren't that enthusiastic about it anyway." Sam sighs, pushing his plate away from himself and looking up at me with stern eyes.

Sam and I decided we'd go out for dinner tonight; considering we hadn't done it in ages. But this was how it would always go down. I would disappoint him somehow, he would make a scene and then we would be kicked out. I just wish we could have one night out where we weren't fighting.

"Of course I'm excited! But you need to know that there is a lot of planning that comes with it." I sigh, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

Sam hadn't done anything to organise for it; he had practically thrown all the responsibilities on me. I know that he does a lot for me, but it was starting to get tiring. 

Sam laughs at me mockingly, resting his hand on mine. "Honey, we both know you don't do that much anyway."

I pull my hand away, suddenly becoming furious by his comment. My job demanded a lot from me, I was seeing a therapist and doing everything I could for him. I loved him; but he was being a total jerk. I may not be that great of a person, I may no deserve that much, but what he said was just plain rude.

"Excuse me?" I hiss.

He just laughs. He was really pissing me off now. I was feeling more confident to stand up to him than I had ever felt before. It was like all these emotions that I had bottled up inside were beginning to come out; screaming to be heard. For once in my life I was actually letting a small part of it speak.

"you do realise you haven't done a single thing to plan this trip right? All you've done is order me around like I'm your slave!" 

I regret my words as soon as they come out.

"How dare you." He growls, his eyes darkening.

The confidence vanishes and I feel my face become pale.

He grabs my hand roughly, squeezing his fingers into my wrist until it felt like every blood vessel was popping, the pain is instant and excruciating. I moan, trying to keep my voice down so that others can't hear me. It hurt to breath, it hurt to stay up right, it hurt to move. I closed my eyes in attempt to ignore it a little; but there was no way I could escape from the tearing pain that stabbed through my wrists and up my arms, making every bone in my body ache.

"You listen to me young lady." He stops to take a breath, "If you dare ever speak to me like that again I will make you wish you hadn't, do you understand me?"

"Yes" I squeak, waiting for the pain to subside. 

But it doesn't.

I open my eyes and look up at him. He still has the same evil look on his face that he did before; like he was determined to hurt me until I died. My arms burned as he squeezed harder and harder, and I could feel tears prickling at my eyes. 

And then I see him, walking towards us with the same beautiful grin that he always wore. I feel my breath hitch in my throat. He couldn't see what Sam was doing to me, he couldn't.

"Sam stop." I cry, trying to pull my hands from his grasp.

"No, I won't. This is what you deserve."

"Stop!" 

Somehow I manage to remove my hands from his grasp. Sam looks at me confused and angry; I knew I would cop it when we got home.

"Hello." Ben's voice fills my ears and I find myself relieved to hear it.

Sam looks up at him, clearly confused by what was going on. He had never met my therapist before, so this was going to be a strange experience.

"Sam, this is Ben my therapist." I say, forcing a smile and trying to act casual.

I secretly pray that Ben hadn't seen what was going on between us.

Suddenly Sam's facial expression changes. Instead of the scary, evil look that he wore only a few seconds ago, his face was filled with happiness. I found myself shocked by the sudden change in attitude.

"Hello Ben, i've heard a lot about you." Sam says cheerfully, shaking hands with Ben. Ben returns the smile happily.

"What are you guys doing here at such a late hour." Ben says, shoving his hands in his pockets and rocking back and fourth casually.

Sam just laughs, grabbing a napkin and dabbing it around his face like he had just eaten. That's definitely not what he had just been doing.

"I thought I would take my beautiful lady out on a date, that's all." He says romantically, grabbing the same hand that he had almost squeezed to death only a minute ago.

Ben smiles again. He has the most wonderful eyes – they are green, mostly, but darken to grey because of the restaurants lighting. He smiles with his lips, but it is his eyes that shine instead. The way he smiles with his eyes is the most sincere and pure thing I have ever seen. His eyes never lie – if I could say but four words to advise one on how to understand Ben's thoughts, those would be the four I'd choose.

"Thats sweet. I heard you guys are getting engaged soon?" 

I look at Sam's facial expression. He seems bothered by the comment but I can tell he's trying to hide it.

"Yes, after she's finished getting therapy that is." He replies.

Ben smiles at Sam, and then looks at me. I watched as a crease formed on his head that seemed to get deeper and deeper, but the suddenly disappeared and his face changed back to normal. I wonder if Sam sore what I did.

"Well I'd better get going." Ben says, nodding towards me, "It was good meeting you Sam."

Ben flashes a smile one last time before disappearing out of the restaurant. I look at Sam. His face is un-readbale and I can't help but wonder what he's thinking.

"What is it?" 

Sam takes a deep breath, "nothing." 

---

OOOOOH is Sam jealous??? So how has your week been guys? Mine has been full of school work (ugh) which we all know is horrible. What do you guys want to happen later on in the story because I'd like to get some points of view! Anyways my dad is cooking hamburgers and they're ready so I'm gonna go have some dinner.

Remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter x

Love you heaps and heaps

Gracie x