Chapter ten

(Louis's POV)

"Bye Haz," I say, leaning in and pecking his cheek for a split second. Harry and I have spent the past three days together at my place after coming home from the lake, but now he has to go home because his mum is feeling a bit under the weather and Harry wants to take care of her. I honestly have the sweetest boyfriend ever.

"Goodbye love, I'll see you soon. If you ever need anything I'm just a phone call away," Harry tells me before winking and closing the door behind him.

And now it's silent, dead silent. I don't like it one bit. I shuffle across the floor and collapse on the sofa in the living room, propping my legs up on the opposite arm rest. Moments later I feel a fluffy creature curl up on my stomach and a soft licking on my chin. I chuckle and look down to see Brownie purring and lying on top of me.

"You miss Harry already, too, don't you?" I ask her. She purrs louder in response, looking up at me with bright, green eyes. I laugh and pet her head, "I thought so."

* * *

I flip through the stack of mail in my hands, carding through the junk mail, bills, and letters. Today's been mostly a lazy day. I've just been sleeping and eating and watching the tellie, then occasionally texting Harry. I even called Anne and told her to feel better.

So really, the only productive thing I've done today is gotten off my lazy ass and walked outside my apartment to grab the mail.

I sit down at the counter and look through it all, tossing all the junk mail to the side before I come across a post card from Alex and Zayn from Nuremberg, Germany with a castle on the front. I smile as I flip over to the back and read it.

Louis,

We're having a blast in Germany and loving every bit of it. The food's amazing and it's absolutely beautiful here. We both miss you and can't wait to get back home after seeing America to see you and Harry!

Lots of love, Zaynie and Alex

I immediately step over to the fridge and pin the card up with a magnet. Then I walk back over to the counter to go through the rest of the mail.

Junk mail, bills, junk mail, bills, more bills, and a letter from . . . some musical performance theatre in London? What?

I slice open the envelope with my index finger, the slip out the folded up letter. There's a golden seal at the top and the paper is thick and looks professional. I gulp as my eyes scan over it.

Louis Tomlinson,

Hello, we are a musical theatre in London and have recognized you as a potential employee here. One of our talent scouters was at your performance of Romeo and Juliet at your school last Fall and have recently recommended you. It would be our
honor to have you work as an intern director here.

For more information, please call us or e-mail us. We hope to hear from you soon.

I freeze as I glance over the phone number printed at the bottom. I don't even know what to think. This is-- this is my dream. I can't even believe it. I haven't even started uni yet (which starts this Fall) and they're already offering me an internship? What the actual fuck . . . this can't be real.

I need to talk to Harry about this as soon as possible . . . in person.

* * *

In a matter of minutes I'm at Harry's door step knocking frantically with the letter from the performance hall clenched in my hand tightly. I may or may not have violated a few traffic laws and speed limits to get here this quickly but oh well.

To my surprise, Jenna doesn't open the door. Neither does Gemma or Harry or Anne. It's Harry's dad. I swallow thickly and my eyes widen.

"Hi sir."

"Hi Louis. Harry's in his bedroom," he grunts before turning away, like he can't stand to look at me. I let out a gentle sigh of relief when he leaves. The very sight of Harry's dad makes my palms sweaty and my breath uneven. I walk inside and close the door behind me before skipping up to Harry's room.

I knock on Harry's oak door, sucking in a deep breath of air.

"Mum? You're supposed to be resting--" Harry starts before he opens up the door and realizes it's me. I smile as he crushes me in a tight hug without a second thought. I relax in his arms and rub the fabric of his shirt on his back in gentle circles.

He pulls away and pecks my lips before stepping to the side and letting me in. I sit on the edge of his bed and he takes a seat next to me.

"What're you doing here?" he asks, smiling softly still.

"Um . . . well, I got something in the mail today and I wanted to talk to you about it," I tell him.

"What is it, babe?"

I pass him the letter. I watch as he cocks an eyebrow and takes it from me, unfolds it, and reads it all with a straight face. I hate it when he does this. Sometimes he never shows any expression so it's impossible to know what he's thinking.

"I, um . . . wow," he says, passing me back the letter.

"What do you think?" I ask him.

He swallows and stares down at his hands, "Are you-- are you actually considering doing the internship?"

I shrug, "I dunno. It's in London, Harry. That's more than a 3 hour drive. I don't . . . I don't know what to think. These kinds of opportunities come once in a lifetime. I know it's a long ways away, but I can always find a flat there and maybe get a flat mate or somethin' to split the rent and--"

"You seriously might do it?" Harry asks, his voice cracking, and the sound of that breaks my heart.

"I don't know, Haz, that's why I'm asking you what you think!" I say, rubbing his shoulder a bit.

"I don't want you to do it," he huffs, looking down and avoiding me.

"You don't?"

"No," he says stubbornly.

"But Harry it's my dream could you at least think about it first?"

Harry scoffs, "Fine, I'll think about it. I'll think about how you want to leave me and you don't even care."

"No, no of course I care! That's why I drove here right after I got the letter and that's why I'm asking you for your opinion," I tell him.

He turns to face me, his eyes pricking with tears, "Can you leave? I need some time to think."

I sigh, "Harry--"

"You want me to think about it? Fine, then leave, Louis."

My heart sinks as I stand up and walk towards the door. Part of me thinks that maybe he'll run up behind me and stop me and apologize, but he doesn't. He just sits there and watches me leave.

I open up the door and step out in the hallway, "Bye Harry, I love you," I mutter, staring at him, waiting for him to lift his head of curls and look into my eyes . . . but he doesn't. He just stares down at his hands in his lap, not moving at all.

He doesn't say anything back, so I close the door and leave. So much for a perfect Summer, eh?

[ Dedication goes to keiarasimone because she's honestly a really amazing fan and she always makes me smile. ]