Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

Ian set me down in the bed and I was feeling slightly embarrassed. I wouldn’t meet his eyes. I was afraid of what he would think about me know that he knew I wasn’t a werewolf. What was I? A were-whatever I feel like? Feeling more confused than I ever had in my life, I could feel the tears threatening to fall.

The bed dipped as Ian sat beside me and suddenly he pulled me into his arms.

“What’s wrong?” he asked in a hushed tone.

He was still holding me like he cared. Like he didn’t think I was a freak.

“I-I didn’t know what you would think of me after you know……” I whispered.

He held me back from him so he could look me in the eyes.

“What do you mean? How could I think of you any different? You are still Ella right?” he asked, his lips slightly turning up at the corners.

Normally his amusement at my situation would have made me angry, but now I didn’t care. At least he wasn’t looking at me like something was wrong with me.

“Yes I’m still Ella,” I said back, a small smile forming on my lips.

“You know what, it just makes you that much more special,” he said.

My heart warmed and suddenly a feeling I had never felt for someone ever flooded my whole body. Love, I was falling in love with Ian. At this realization my body felt warm all over and I could imagine what shade of bright red my face had taken on.

I looked into Ian’s eyes and seen the tenderness there. Could he possibly feel the same way? He answered that question for me.

“Ella, I’m in love with you and no matter who or what you are, nothing is going to change that.”

I threw myself on him and crushed my lips to his showing him I felt the same. The kiss lasted until neither one of us could breathe and had no choice other than pull apart. I was half lying on his chest above him and I looked deep into his beautiful blue eyes and said,

“I love you too, Ian.”

Ian had to get back to the meeting, so I lay back on my bed feeling happy and content. What had happened with my father was like a dream that never was. My light and blissful feel from what had just happened between Ian and I had me on an emotional high I didn’t think I could come down from.

 Suddenly the door burst open and Rachel rushed in.

“Get up! Your father is on our front lawn and he is yelling that he is here to claim you back as his rightful heir,” she screeched at me.

I bolted upright. So much for the carefree, happy feeling I just had. It was wiped away immediately.

“What!” I launched off my bed afraid of what was about to go down.

I knew Ian would want to fight to keep my father from taking me and I knew the elders would back him, but my father could change to any animal he wanted. I shivered at the thought. Also, what if Alex was with him? He could change as well. I had to get down there. They would have a better chance of winning the fight if I joined the fray.

I rushed down the stairs behind Rachel as fast as my legs would carry me without falling. Just as I feared, the living room was empty. Everyone had gone outside to face down my father. I rushed outside to see everyone standing on the front lawn in front of the porch, facing my father who was just at the edge of the lawn at the tree line.

“Ah, there is my lovely daughter,” my father said as I stepped out on the porch.

Ian turned to give me a look I had never seen on his face, fear. He was afraid for me. I could tell he didn’t want me out there, part of the fight, but it didn’t matter. I needed to be there, it was the only way we had a chance of winning.

Alex stepped out of the woods and stood beside my father. My heart plummeted to my feet. It was going to be hard to fight two Therianthropes, when our side only had one. I hoped the wolves would serve as a distraction during the fight I’m sure was about to break out.

“Get off my land!” my mother shouted.

“I will as soon as my daughter is handed over to me,” my father called back, a sneer on his face.

My body rippled with the start of the change from pure anger and disgust.

“This is my home and I have no intentions of leaving. You may be my father by blood, but in no other sense of the word are you one.” I stepped down off the porch and made my way to the front of the gathering to where Ian was standing and put my hand in his.

“You are to be my mate,” Alex, shouted as he looked angrily at my hand in Ian’s.

Ian growled loudly. “Ella is mine!” he yelled back. Not only did he surprise me, but from the noises behind us he had managed to surprise everyone.

“Then we will just have to fight for her then won’t we?” my father threatened.

“Yeah I guess we will,” Ian answered calmly.

I could tell my father was getting angry by the slight ripple in his body. He was going to change and attack. I hoped I would have enough time to change to whatever animal he did in time to fight him off. Ian squeezed my hand to reassure me. I didn’t need it. I would take on my father and fight for my freedom. There was no way I was going to be bred with that idiot Alex against my will. Never in a million years. I would die first.

My father had started to ripple even more and his body was growing larger and turning brown. What the heck? A bear! Popped into my head suddenly and I pulled out of Ian’s grasp and started my own shift. Man this was going to hurt like hell.