Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

Alex bought our tickets, even after I tried to pay for my own. I insisted on buying the popcorn and drinks, he smiled and gave in eventually. We settled in our seats and I realized that aside from arguing over who was paying, Alex hadn’t said much else to me. Deciding I would try to start a conversation I asked,

“So what did you think of your first day at Lennox High?”

 Our school was not one known well by the general public. It wasn’t located in town, but deep in the woods. Werewolves were the only one who had access to it or even knew of its location. Even deliveries did not make it past town. Someone was sent in to retrieve it with the school truck.

“It was alright for the first day at a new school. I met a few people that seemed pretty cool,” he said flashing me a brilliant smile. God he was cute. He had a dimple on his right cheek when he smiled. His eyes were hazel and seemed to change color constantly. The thing I thought was the cutest feature Alex had was his blonde shaggy hair. It was short around the sides and back and longer on top with a wave to it. It was really cute. I thought Alex and Rachel would look cute together. I smiled and Alex and he raised his eyebrows. I didn’t get to explain because the movie started.

I found myself unable to concentrate on the movie, at all. My mind kept wandering back to kissing Ian in the car. He was so hot and guilt washed over me again for thinking these types of thoughts about my adoptive brother. In the last year that he had been home, he had been distant and hard to get to know so it was like he was a stranger. I rationalized with myself for most of the movie, snacking on the popcorn on my lap. I caught Alex glancing at me once in a while so I would flash him a smile like I was having a good time.

When the movie was over Alex and I shuffled out to the aisle and left the dark theatre and made our way to the lobby. I left Alex to use the washroom. I always had to pee after a movie because I always drank too much soda.

Alex was leaning up against the wall, waiting like a gentleman and it struck me again how damn cute he really was. If there wasn’t anything going on between Ian and I, Alex would definitely be on my ‘I want to date him’ list.

Giving me a lazy smile, he pushed himself off the wall and walked over to me.

“So what do you want to do now?” he asked.

“Well I can’t stay out too late,” I said looking at my watch.

“Okay….” Alex said, frowning.

“We could walk around town or we could go for a drive,” I offered.

“Let’s go for a drive,” he said and grabbed my hand pulling me towards the door.

            We got in his Volkswagon beetle, and not the new kind.

            “Nice car,” I said giggling.

            “Hey don’t make fun. It was the only thing I could afford,” he said.

            “The color just takes the cake,” I said, referring to the yellow color of the paint.

            Alex groaned, “I know but it gets me around.”

            “You would think us wolves would just run everywhere but I guess that is a good way of letting our secret out into the open,” I said trying to make him feel better.

            “Yeah,” he agreed.

            We drove around town for a little while and I pointed out the main places the younger wolves hung out at and even where we sometimes mingled with the humans. Soon Alex had driven to the end of town and kept going, soon trees were the only things to see out the windows.

            “Maybe we should head back now, it’s getting kind of late,” I said, knowing Ian would be expecting my call.

To be totally honest with myself, I was anxious to get back to Ian. Perhaps we could continue where we left off in the car earlier. I was feeling a little braver and I was craving Ian’s touch. He hadn’t left my thoughts the whole time I was out with Alex. Lately he was always in the back of my mind.

“I just want to go a little farther, there’s something I want to show you,” Alex said flashing me a smile. The smile looked false though and for some reason I started to feel uneasy.

“What did you want to show me?” I asked, trying to keep my voice even.

I looked over to Alex and he was just staring out the windshield, concentrating. I looked out my window but couldn’t see anything but trees blurring by. Where the hell was he taking me? Okay I was getting really nervous now. Why was Alex acting weird all of a sudden? Crap I didn’t even really know this guy. Why the hell did I agree to go out alone with him?

Alex turned the car down a dirt road. I started to wonder how I was going to get out of this situation. I looked at the door handle thinking I could just jump. My hand started to make its way to the handle.

“Don’t even think about it Ella,” Alex said, his voice even. In fact it was too calm and his face was still blank, not showing any emotion.

“Please Alex can’t we just go back?” I pleaded. I realized then that I had my cell phone in my pocket and pulled it out, making sure I kept it low beside my leg. Ian was in my speed dial list and I hit the call button.

“Please Alex, I want to go home. Why are you taking me out in the middle of nowhere?” I begged, hoping that Ian had picked up on the other end.

 I peeked down at my phone and it had connected but I didn’t know if it went to Ian’s voice mail. I didn’t disconnect the call and shoved it back in my pocket. I might need it later.

“Nope, I told you there was something I wanted to show you,” he said, turning that blank stare on me.

Oh my god! A shiver ran straight down my spine. I started to panic and reached to pull on the door handle. Suddenly my head was knocked to the side, making it hit the passenger window. Did he just hit me? I tried to clear my head but it was throbbing and my vision was blurry. Damn that hurt.

“I told you not to do that. Besides we are here now.” He pulled the car to a stop in front of a tall tower. It looked like it had been attached to some kind of building that had fallen to ruins beside it.

My head was throbbing worse, if that was even possible and soon I started to slip in and out of consciousness. I opened my eyes one last time to see Alex looming over me and then everything went black.