Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

“Ella?” I heard a voice and I snapped my head up, wiping away the tears that were falling. I looked up to see someone blocking the doorway to the broom closet.

“What?” I asked miserably. I didn’t really feel like company at the moment.

“What’s wrong?” I realize it was Alex. How did he know where I was?

“Nothing,” I replied and stood up wiping my hands on my jeans. I tried to push past him not caring if I was being rude but I just wanted to get the hell out of there. He stopped me by grabbing me by the arm and swinging me around to face him. I immediately pulled out of his grasp, frowning.

“Sorry!” Holding his hands up in an apology, “I just don’t want you to leave upset. You know the pack with protect you, right?”

“That’s not what’s wrong,” I sniffed.

“Oh,” was all he said looking back behind him out the door. I don’t know if he had seen Ian leaving only moments ago.

“Look Ella, I’m new around here and I was hoping you wouldn’t mind showing me around a bit,” he said smiling, trying to win me over.

Even though I knew he could have asked a number of people in the other room, I was flattered he had picked me. Besides I could use a distraction right now and showing Alex around seemed like it could be just the thing I needed.

“Um sure, tomorrow is cheap night at the movies and then we could take a tour around town afterwards if you like,” I offered. I knew Ian wouldn’t like it, but seeing how he was probably angry with me at the moment I brushed it off.

Alex beamed. “That sounds great! What time should I pick you up?” he asked.

“I’ll just meet you there around seven, if that’s alright with you?” I offered. I knew I could get Rachel to drive me into town and I didn’t really want Alex coming to the house. Who knows what Ian would do?

 Alex gave me a knowing smile. “Yeah sounds cool,” he said and led me out of the room.

“Okay I’ll see you tomorrow then,” I said and turned to walk away.

“I’ll see you at school,” he yelled to my back. I stopped and pivoted on the spot.

“What? You are going to school? Aren’t you too old?” I asked curious. If he was old enough to attend the pack meet, wouldn’t that make him too old to go to school?

“Well technically I failed grade nine so I am a senior this year,” he said shrugging. “I’m not a big fan of school.”

“Oh okay well then I will see you at school tomorrow,” I said and waved as I walked away. . I know it is still August but I attend a private school, so therefore we start earlier than most schools and damned if I didn’t forget tomorrow was the first day.

The ride home was tense. Well for me it was. Ian was angry and I could tell by his driving. Mum didn’t say anything but she gave me a questioning look. I shook my head pretending I didn’t know what was wrong with Ian, knowing full well our conversation was the cause of his black mood.

“So what did you think of the new guy, Ella?’ Rachel gushed.

“Well he seems nice,” I said honestly. Alex had seemed like a normal guy for his age and I was actually a little excited about tomorrow night.

“Oh that reminds me, can you give me a ride into town tomorrow night Rachel?” I asked.

“Why what’s up?” she asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Actually Alex and I are going to the movies and then I’m showing him around town,” I answered, my eyes darting to Ian as the car swerved slightly but he corrected it quickly. Mum shot him a look and he mumbled something about an animal running across the road.

Watching Ian a little closer I could see a scowl permanently plastered on his face and his knuckles were white as they gripped the steering wheel. My stomach did a little flip. I got the impression that Ian wasn’t happy about me going out with Alex tomorrow night.

“Are you serious?” Rachel gushed.

“Yeah, why do you ask?” I responded.

“Well because I was hoping to get some action from the fresh meat, but obviously you beat me to it,” she said nudging me with her elbow.

“Oh no we are going as just friends,” I corrected.

Ian’s shoulders seemed to relax a little, but not much.

“Cool, so you don’t mind if I asked him out myself?” Rachel asked, a grin lighting up her face.

“Nope I don’t mind,” I replied, wondering if it was really true. Sometimes Rachel seemed to view guys as a source of entertainment instead of people.

When we got home I went straight to bed. Tonight’s events had gotten to me and my little falling out with Ian had drained all my energy. My emotions were so up and down at the moment that I wanted nothing more than the bliss and ignorance that sleep promised.

Pulling on my pajamas and climbing into bed I fell back on my pillow and stared at the ceiling. Rachel was still downstairs with Mum and Shiloh. Ian had stalked off to his room and slammed the door. I lay there thinking about earlier when he had told me he wanted to be with me. Guilt at my reaction to him plagued me and I didn’t think I would be able to sleep until I explained myself a little better. I rolled off the bed hoping I wouldn’t regret what I was about to do.

“What?” Ian said from the other side of the door.

“Can I come in?” I asked, opening it and sticking my head in.

“Sure, why not,” he replied, stonily.

I stepped in and shut the door softly. Ian was sprawled on his bed staring at the ceiling. Funny that’s what I had just been doing. I walked over and sat on the edge of his bed, looking at his comforter I said,

“Ian I’m sorry about earlier. It’s just you caught me off guard and I didn’t know what to say.”

“Ella, I thought I had made my feelings clear to you, at least lately. I don’t just go around kissing people because for the mere fun of it,” he said. His eyes never left the ceiling.

I reached over and placed my hand on top of his.

“You kissed me back the last couple of times Ella, I thought you felt the same,” he continued.

“I know I did Ian and I care for you, it’s just with everything going on right now I feel lost. It wouldn’t be fair to you. Please just give me some time to sort things out.” I sighed and went to pull my hand away when he didn’t say anything, but he squeezed it and sat up. He cupped my face in his free hand and brushed his lips across mine. A shiver ran down my spine. Ian had some kind of effect on me that made my body tingle whenever he touched me. That had to mean something right?

“I will wait and I will give you some space,” he whispered, his eyes locking on mine.

“Thanks,” I whispered back and leaned in and pressed my lips against his, showing him I did care and I did have feelings for him.

“Okay, now get out of here before I change my mind and ravish you,” he teased.

“No, I think I’ll stay right here if you don’t mind?” I replied, climbing in the bed and snuggling up to him and resting my head on his chest.

“No, I don’t mind,” he mumbled, kissing the top of my head.

I knew I would sleep better being in Ian’s arms. No matter what feelings I had, one thing I knew for sure was that Ian made me feel safe.