F I L L E R

F I L L E R

 “Lola, I’m going to the store. So that means I won’t be showing up to work today. Don’t you dare move a muscle,” A.J. warned, as he departed out of our apartment. Since Chresanto had work also, I couldn’t really talk to him on Chatme.com. Kik was our second place to talk, since Chresanto didn’t like giving out his phone number. A.J. didn’t even know I had social networking accounts, so I was safe from him so far.

 LolaMonroe26: Hey Chressy :) I’m not going to work today.

 ChresantoA15: Yay! That means we can talk all day. What about A.J.? Is he still being his rude self?

 LolaMonroe26: Yes. Save me please!!!!

 ChresantoA15: I wish I could. :’(

 “Lola, do you want anything from the store?” A.J. asks, his voice booming, startling me. He had a habit of shaking me up—I couldn’t risk him finding out about Chresanto. “Naw,” I replied, going right back to Chres.

 LolaMonroe26: So what do you want to talk about? Is college still hard for you?

 ChresantoA15: uh yea

 LolaMonroe26: That doesn’t sound very enthusiastic!!! I know my college years were hard.

 ChresantoA15: Mine are probably gonna get that way. i don’t want to jinx anything tho. last thing i need .___.

 LolaMonroe26: I feel ya

 ChresantoA15: i really want to meet you

 LolaMonroe26: You know how A.J. is. he’d kill me if he figured out i was seeing you.

 ChresantoA15: Right

 LolaMonroe26: >_> What?

 ChresantoA15: how do i know you’re real?

 Chresanto asking me if I was real was shocking to me. I saw a lot of A.J. in him—accusing and having his doubts. I knew in my entire relationship I had been honest to Chresanto about my identity. I really had no other choice; I wanted someone to love me that was real, but I couldn’t ask for that if I couldn’t even do it myself.

 I had to admit, I really did have my doubts about Chresanto at times. He never told me about his work life, college life, or even adult life period. He was a prude too—anytime I talked about something that wasn’t exactly ‘kid friendly’, Chresanto would grow uncomfortable. I really wanted to trust Chresanto, but you can’t trust everyone you talk to over the internet. Especially if you’ve never met them.

 LolaMonroe26: I’ve been the main one wanting to Skype you -___________- Anyways, gotta go. I’m not trying to get beat to a bloody pulp because of A.J. bye doe . love you .

 I went downstairs to tend to A.J. He was sitting at the couch with the remote, watching MTV Jams. He blasted the music out of his speakers so loud that if you were three doors down, you’d still be able to hear it. I wasn’t going to complain, though. I knew exactly what type of person A.J. was, and it wasn't the type to take small suggestions lightly.

 “Are you hungry?” I screamed over the loud television.

 “Hell yeah. Cook me somethin’. It better be good,” A.J. lowered his voice to warn me, but I disregarded it, walking into the kitchen.

 There was pork chops, steak, and other unidentifiable meats. I took out the pork chops and let them sit, just so they could get a little warmer. “Lola, can you come here please?” A.J. asked in his unusual nice tone. It kind of scared me because A.J. never really called me by my name for being nice. Only for degrading me.

 I walked next to A.J., with my legs shaking. He was making me nervous, even if he didn’t plan on hurting me. “Do you ever feel like. . . you want to cheat on me?” A.J. made eye contact with me, which was a first. It was extremely rare for him to even look me in the face.

 “Um. . .no? Why are you asking me that?” I asked A.J. like he was insane, but the question was valid. I was thinking about cheating on him all the time. That’s where Chresanto came in.

 “It just seems like you’ve always been unhappy with me. All the time. I understand that I may be hard on you some of the time, but it’s just how I was raised. I want you to be happy. Basically, I’m treating you the best way I know how,” A.J. says sincerely. His words really hit home for me. 

 I sighed. “OK,” I replied simply. I was said a lot less than what was really on my mind. But I was thinking.

 If A.J. decided to change his ways, there was no need for Chresanto.