O N E

O N E

“Lola, good news. You got promoted to assistant CEO,” my boss, Kaila tells me. I’ve been working at my job at the bank for almost a year now, and to be assistant CEO of the bank of Atlanta was an honor. I smiled bright.

"Really, Ms. Kaila? Do you mean that?” I asked, my eyes lighting up. With this, I could move in to the new condo I’ve always wanted, buy a new car, and even send Chresanto a little bit of money.

“I don’t joke around, Miss Monroe. And please, call me Kai from now on,” Kai had a huge smile on her face, and I knew she was happy to promote me.

“Thank you so much Mrs.—I mean Kai. You have no idea how much this means to me,” I beamed.

“No problem, Miss Monroe. You’ve earned it all,” Kai walked out of the room, smiling just as I was.

I had to Kik Chresanto the news. I knew he’d be happy for me, just as I happy for myself. Chresanto was the only person around to appreciate moments like this.

LolaMonroe26: Guess what baby? I got promoted! :) Remember to get on Chatme.com, I want to talk to you in full.

ChresantoA15: That’s great Lola! I will make sure to get online when you get off of work.

LolaMonroe26: I get off in about five minutes.

ChresantoA15: Then I will talk to you in five minutes! :D

LolaMonroe26: Bye babe ;*

I killed the Kik app, and packed up to go home. A.J. didn’t get off of work until 3:00 A.M., so I always had plenty of time to talk to Chresanto online. A.J. has no idea I even get online to talk to people, since I always lie to him about it. But, I do know if he did find out about Chresanto, there would be no more ‘Lola’ or ‘Chres’.

When I had all my items packed in my large purse, and headed out to my car, where A.J. picked me up. A.J. refused to let me drive to or from work. I knew he was insecure—since he was a sorry excuse for a boyfriend—he was afraid that one day I would just pack up in leave him.

Like I’ve been planning on doing for over a year now.

I took a seat in the passenger (even though I bought this car) and slumped back. Even though I had a well paying job, it could get extremely hard. And to make it even harder, I had to come home to tend to A.J.’s needs. It wasn’t all that great.

“You look exhausted,” A.J. mentioned, finally breaking the silence. I nodded my head, and twiddling my fingers. Ever since A.J. started to be abusive, we’ve became one of the most awkward couples there was. I could rarely relate to anything to said. It was kind of like a oil and water mixture.

“So, what? You can’t speak today? Who’s at the office that you’ve been screwing with?” A.J. demanded, driving faster. He was so fast to jump to conclusions, because his insecurities got the best of him.

“Babe, please don’t jump to conclusions—”

“Oh, yeah right. When we get home, don’t say a word to me. Call the office and tell them you’re not going to be able to come in. You ain’t goin’ nowhere,” A.J. exclaimed. He let his foot off the accelerator a bit, which made me a calm down. I was nervous, because when A.J. accused me of cheating on him, he’d usually beat me 'till I was red and bleeding. He was a scary dude, but that’s where Chresanto came to the rescue.

As soon as I got my apartment, I ran upstairs in the room A.J. and I shared. It was big for a room, but I really didn’t get to enjoy the space. I opened the laptop, waiting for Chresanto to pop up online. I really wanted to talk to him, and if he was online, that’d be great. I needed someone to talk to me at the moment. Since my family wasn’t around, Chres was the only one there for me.

 “What the hell are you doing now?” A.J. intruded. I knew ignoring him wouldn’t be the best of my ideas, so reluctantly, I had to answer him.

“I’m doing something for work, since you won’t let me go tomorrow,” I replied sharply. I would’ve rolled my eyes too, but I didn’t want them to get slapped stuck.

A.J. mumbled something under his breath, and then left me alone. Chres’ chat icon finally popped up to tell me that he was online.

ChresantoA15 wants to chat you!

Accept her decline?

I accepted Chres’ request, and I was ready for him to comfort me and show me love.

ChresantoA15: Hey babe! So you got promoted?

LolaMonroe26: Yes! That means I can get a lot of money coming it. I might be able to send you a little extra this month! ;)

ChresantoA15: Lola, you know I really don’t want you spending all your money on me. Tell you what, why don’t you spend that promotion money to get yourself something nice for me, as a gift to you. :)

LolaMonroe26: Chresanto, you are so sweet. You always have my best interest at heart.

ChresantoA15: You know it, Lola. I love you.

“Lo-la! Get down here and make me some dinner! I ain’t going to work today,” A.J. screamed, making loud thumps coming up the stairs. I can’t let him see me chatting Chresanto.

LolaMonroe26: Love you 2 babe gtg aj is comin

I typed shorthand and very quickly, praying that A.J. wouldn’t go through the laptop. I clicked on on my bank statements and went downstairs to cook A.J. dinner, because if I didn’t, he’d throw a fit.

"What do you want to eat?" I asked, as I was walking into the kitchen. A.J. was almost never satisfied of what I cooked him, even though he insisted I cook for him anyway. He never made any sense, but for now, I had to deal with it.

"You should know what I like. If I don't like it, you're going to have to cook it me something else."

"That doesn't make sense," I replied, wishing I could take back the words I said. I knew better than to talk back to A.J. Even though he was my boyfriend, he acts like he was a father figure.

Not a very good one, though.

"What did you say?" A.J. demanded, looking me dead in the face. His eyes were the most evil I've ever seen them. Steam was blowing out of his ears, and I knew better to talk back, but I knew the dril—stand back and not answer a word he said. I would just have to let him talk.

"Answer me when I'm talking to you, Lola. What did you say to me?" A.J. stepped closer, grabbing my shirt collar. I prayed to God that he wouldn't kill me, but I had a bad feeling that was going to be his intent.

"N-nothing. I-I-I was just being stupid. Don't listen to me." I didn't agree to what came out of my own mouth, but right now, I'd say anything for A.J. not to hurt me.

"That's what I thought," A.J. asserted, exiting the kitchen.

I would trade him for Chresanto any day.