Chapter Three - Revenge

"So, how was it?"

"Messy," I replied into the phone on my way to the animal shelter. It was too warm for coffee outside and I was running a little late due to the party last night. How was I suppose to explain that to Abby? Hopefully she doesn't have any of the students from Ambrose High on Facebook.

"Wait," Gina said. "Are we talking about kissing Owen or your conversation with your parents?"

"Both," I rolled my eyes. My parents were being completely out of hand. Did they not know that I was at home all day yesterday, but none of them even bother to include me in anything? Okay, well, maybe that's mostly my fault for not opening the door to them, but still. I managed to come home even in the state I was in and that counts for something.

After my parents' lecture it turns out I'm grounded for most of the summer, but I begged them to let me still volunteer at the animal shelter which they agreed to.

"Gross," she muttered. There was some ruffling in the background. "Ah, I have to go now, Mikayla. Baby needs a changing. Tell Alex I love him."

I shook my head, nearing the shelter. "I will, I will."

She hung up and I entered inside, but surprisingly, Abby wasn't at her desk. Instead, there was a girl around my age, doodling on some papers absentmindedly. She had layered black hair with hot pink and baby blue streaks all over. She looked up at me with dark eyes. "Oh, hey. Can I help you?"

"Um, my name is Mikayla. I'm scheduled to volunteer here."

Her eyes automatically lit up. "Oh! You're Mikayla." She glanced at the clock on the wall. Please tell me she doesn't know my schedule. "You're late."

I mentally smacked my forehead. "Yeah, I know. I woke up a little later than I was hoping for."

The girl swatted her hand at me as if it didn't matter. "Listen - you're duty is mostly walking the dogs and cleaning out the cages, but if you give Mr. Fluffy," she gestured toward a small cage on the ground. "a little spritz, I won't tell Abby."

I nodded. It didn't seem that much of a challenge. "Fine."

She smiled, emphasising her lip ring even more. "I'm Destiny, by the way. Nice to meet you, partner in crime."

I took Mr. Fluffy's cage to the back where it was pretty empty except for all the dogs and cats. I opened the cage and out came a grumpy looking, white, hairy cat. He glared at me and sat down. Okay, maybe this is going to be a little harder than it looks.

I looked around the working table, trying to find the hose that Alex was using the other day and spotted it near the wall. I grabbed it and brought it back to Mr. Fluffy who was now eyeing me suspiciously.

I turned the nozzle and pulled the lever releasing a giant spray of water, knocking Mr. Fluffy off the table. The hose curled out of my hand and started spraying water everywhere. I screamed trying to grab it.

Destiny appeared in the doorway. "What the hell did you do?!" She ran inside with me and tried to grab the hose, getting drenched as much as I was. "Grab Mr. Fluffy!"

I glanced around and found Mr. Fluffy jumping around the counters and knocking down shampoos and cotton balls. I ran after him, almost busting my butt a couple of times and grabbed him. He hissed at me and dug his nails into my skin. I almost dropped him on impact, but I thought better of it. I threw him into his cage and closed it.

Just then the water stopped and both Destiny and I looked surprised. We glanced up and saw Alex by the water tank which he seemed to turn off. Now, why did none of us think of that?