Chapter One - Conrad

"It's not you Mikey, it's me."

Really? Out of all the things Javen could have said to me, he chooses this stupid line.

Does it matter to him all the things I've done for him? All the things we've been through in our ten months together? Almost a damn year!

"I just have somethings I have to settle down with in my life," he continued, running his rough hands through his non-moving gelled up dark hair. "I would hope you would understand."

I bit my lip, fighting back the nasty things I wanted to say to him. What could possibly be going wrong in Javen's life? I thought we were completely open to each other and had confidence to tell each other everything. Well, at least, I did.

Wouldn't he tell me if anything is wrong with him?

I bit back my anger and confusion and nodded at him. "Of course. I hope everything is okay with you." I placed my hand on his arm. "I'll be here is you ever want to talk you know."

A smile brightened up on his face. The same smile that I fell in love with. "Thanks, Mikey." He bent down and kissed me on the cheek before running down to his class.

The rest of my day went out pretty normal, minus the random visits from Javen.

Gina slammed her tray in front of me when it was finally lunch time, her shoulder length blond hair bouncing and blue eyes blazing. "Okay, Mikayla. I'm not a shrink or anything. I don't plan to be, but I am your best friend and I know when something is bothering you."

I put down the apple I was about to bite into and avoided eye contact. Was I really that easy to read?  "Javen broke up with me."

Gina began coughing. It was easy to tell that she was probably swallowing something while listening to me. "You're joking, right?"

I shook my head. "I wish I was."

Gina shook her head. "That little son of a -"

"Gina," Alex popped up from the corner of my eye and gave Gina a small kiss. His brown hair was tousled around like always, but his crooked smile was something that made up for that.

Gina whacked him in the arm and then kissed him again. "What took you so long?"

"Science extra credit," he said before looking at me. "Hey, Mikayla. What's wrong with you?"

I rolled my eyes. I need to learn to be more in control with my facial features. "Ugh, nothing!"

"Javen broke up with her," Gina shook her head in a more comical way. "And right before summer vacation."

I started picking at my food again. "It's not that big of a deal, Gina."

Gina's eyes widened. "What do you mean it's not a big deal? It's a huge deal! We need to find you a new eye candy and soon."

"Gina. Don't you think you're going a little overboard with all this?" Alex interjected, grabbing a pretzel off her plate.

"Alex, honey, take my side with this please." Gina patted his head and returned to me. "I heard Owen always had a thing for you."

I could feel my face scrunch up. Yes, Owen was a much wanted prize to any girl in Ambrose High, but he wasn't really my type with his meaty body and obsessive drinking. "I'll pass. I'm sure there are other ways to pass the summer than with a boyfriend."

"Like?" Gina eyed me actually expecting an answer.

I kicked her under the table and she laughed.

Alex shrugged. "Get a summer job."

I nodded. "Sounds like a plan. I'm sure there are plenty of those going around now."