Chapter Six

A/N: Second update of the night. A little gift for being so patient with me. Hope you enjoy it. Don't forget to comment. 

*Jihad’s Point of View*

            It’s third period now, and the girls still didn’t show up. Mom said she was going to drop them off second period. I raise my hand asking if I could go to the bathroom. Once the teacher gives me permission to go I rush out the room and take my phone out as I’m walking to the men’s room. “You know the school doesn’t allow electronics to be used during school hours don’t you?” The hall monitor tells me with an attitude. I look at her and shrug my shoulders before walking away. “Young man, I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to confiscate your phone for the day, hand it over.” She says.

            “This is an emergency, please, I’ll go to the bathroom and use it.” I say desperate to call my mom.

            “Desperate for what? To call your girlfriend and tell her you love her? Don’t think this isn’t the first time I heard this year.”

            “No, I swear. It’s not that. Please just let me call my mom. She was supposed to be here an hour ago to drop off my sisters’. They aren’t here yet and I’m worried about them. Just let me call her to find out everything’s okay.” I beg.

            “You could take it up with the principal.” She says standing up. “Follow me young man.” She says walking me to the principal’s office, just as the intercom goes off.

            “Will Jihad Assaf, please report to the principal’s office,  Jihad Assaf to the principal’s office.”

            “You may go now.” She says walking back to the desk. I run up the stairs to the main office and the lady looks at me with sympathy. I look at her confused before she points to a closed door telling me to go in.

            “Jihad Assaf?” Mr. Tobin says. I nod my head looking at him confused. “Please take a seat.”

            “What happened?” I ask crossing my arms. “I know I didn’t do anything wrong.” I say frustrated.

            “No, boy. You didn’t, you never do, it’s about your mother. I’m sorry to tell you this but she was involved in a car accident. Your two sisters included.

            “That can’t be, my house isn’t far from the school. She was only dropping off my sisters.” I say taking a seat so that I don’t collapse. “That’s impossible.”

            “Anything is possible. The hospital just called.” He says with a sad smile on his face. He takes out a piece of paper and writes down the information before giving me a piece of paper stating I could leave school early. “Take good care of them would you?” He states letting me go.

            I go back into my classroom to get my stuff before I start to walk out. “Where do you think you’re headed Jihad?” The teacher asks.

            “I’m leaving.” I say and he starts to yell at me telling me to sit back down. “No, I have permission from Mr. Tobin to leave school.” I say before running out of there. I hear footsteps behind me to see Kevin walking up to me.

            “What happened?” He asks concerned. I think he could tell the way I was talking to the teacher. Everyone knows I never talk back to anyone.

            “My mom got into a car accident on her way here. My sisters were with her.” I say taking out my phone to call my father. I hold out a finger to Kevin telling him to hold on. My father answers on the second ring. “Baba, did you hear?” I ask not letting myself cry even though I want to.