Chapter 1: Luke's POV

Chapter 1: Luke's POV:

"Hey man! How was your game last night?" a familiar voice questions. I slam my locker shut and turn around to see my Bestfriend Michael standing behind me, wearing his favorite black Ramones shirt. 

"Oh hi Michael! My game was good. I pitched 4 innings and had a no hitter. I went 4 or 4 with hitting and had a sick throw out from the backstop to second base when I was catching. And I..." I didn't get to finish before Michael interrupted me. 

"Dude! You know I don't understand a word you're saying, right?" I nodded and brushed my hair out of my face.  

"So how are the singing lessons going?" Michael asked in a normal voice. He wasn't yelling, but he was talking loud enough for people to hear. The last thing I needed was for everyone to know a tough jock like me sang.  

"Shhh!" I pushed him gently. "You're one of the only people who knows I'm taking lessons!" He looked at me in shock. I guess he figured it wasn't a big deal if people found out. But, it was. If any of the guys from my team found out about me singing, I'd be screwed. They wouldn't leave me alone if they knew. I would constantly be bugged about it and it could hurt my reputation.  

"I'm sorry! I thought everyone knew." He apologized. I knew that he wasn't trying to ruin my life, he just simply wanted to know how my lessons were going. 

"Don't worry Michael! But I gotta get to science class. Cooper's already on my case about being late and it's only been 2 months." I had to lie. I didn't need people to know that I was smart too, even my Bestfriend. That would definitely ruin my reputation. I swung my Nike bag over my shoulder and walked down the hall to my class.  

"Okay! See you later Luke!" Michael called behind me.  

I walked through the door into the classroom. The first thing I see is Mr. Cooper sitting at his desk, chewing on the end of a pen. His glasses rested on the edge of his nose and his gray hair was gelled back. He appeared to be grading papers.  

I headed over to my usual seat next to Nate, one of my teammates. I sat down in my chair, while Nate was sitting on top of the desk, surrounded by girls. They were going gaga over him, it was ridiculous. I put my bag down next to me and took out my notebook. 

"Luke! Great game last night!" He said once as all the girls left.  

"Thanks man!" I replied. I didn't want to brag or anything but I really did have a great game. 

"Okay class! Settle down!" Mr. Cooper announced. No one listened to him and kept on talking.  

"I said settle down! Everyone sit down in your chairs!" He began to raise his voice and everyone sat down. I laid my head down on my desk, to make it appear that I was bored.  

"Mr. Hemmings please sit up!" Mr. Cooper called me out in front of the class. My head snapped up and I began to focus.  

"I will now be passing out your tests that you took last week." He cleared his throat."Some grades were good, others, weren't so good." 

He began to shuffle around the classroom, passing out our tests. After a few minutes, he finally reached me. He placed my test face down in front of me and gave me a grin.  

I eagerly flipped over my test and saw the grade written in red pen at the top. I got a 95 on the test. That was the best grade so far this year. Nate began to look over at my test. Quickly I shoved the test under my notebook.  

"Damn. Cooper's tests are tough, huh?" He looked at me, placing his test on my desk. The number written in red pen at the top read 43%. Wow, how is he even still on the baseball team? I thought to myself. Aren't we supposed to get decent grades to play a sport?  

I placed Nate's test back onto his desk.  

"What did you get on the test?" He asked me. I couldn't tell him that I got a 95 on that test. He would make fun of me if he knew. He would tell everyone I was a nerd. I couldn't have everyone thinking I was a nerd.  

Quickly, I thought of a random number. "I got a 57%." I lied.  

"Nice one dude!" He yelled giving me a high five. He seemed pleased that I did just as bad as he did.  

"Okay class! As you know, we just started learning about atoms." He paced back in forth in front of the class. "I am now passing out rubrics for your next project. The project will be on atoms and you will be working with a partner. Each group will have to write a essay, as well as create a visual." 

He began placing large packets onto our desks. 

"Did you hear that Luke?! We get to work with partners!" He gave me another high five. "Oh yeah!" I yelled. 

"No! You will not be picking your own partners! I will be assigning them." The whole class let out a sigh.  

"Oh I know you all want to pick your own partners, but you can't. If I allow you to do that, no one will get their project done. So I will be picking the partners." He spoke over the classes mumbling.  

"Okay....Nate..." He pointed at Nate "you will be working with Abby." Abby was possibly one of the most annoying girls I ever met. In 8th grade, she had the weirdest obsession with me. She would follow me around the whole school. She even changed her name on Facebook to 'Abby Hemmings'. Somehow she got my phone number. She would text me every 5 minutes. Whenever I didnt text her back, she would call. If I didn't answer, she would leave voicemails. I had to change my number after a month because she wouldn't leave me alone. She was so creepy. Nate would have fun working with her.  

Mr. Cooper assigned everyone a partner except me and some other girl. "Luke....you will be working with Alyssa." He pointed to a girl in the back of the room. I looked back at the girl sitting alone at her desk. She had long brown hair and deep brown eyes. She was a shy, but beautiful girl. I smiled at her, but she rolled her eyes. I took a hint and turned back around. 

The bell rang and I rushed out of the class with Nate. 

"I can't believe Cooper assigned me to work with Abby. That chick is crazy!" Nate stood beside my locker as I place my books into my locker. I shut the door and began to walk away. That's when I saw Alyssa walking out of the classroom. I waved at her, hoping she would wave back, but she didn't. She just kept on walking. What was it about me that she didn't like?