The Reason

I struggled to open my eyes the next morning. With all that happened last night and going to bed with a major headache, I knew my mom didn't plan on sending me to school. I would be surprised if she evn tried for the rest of the week at least. I would have Monday off as well because of grade day and then Tuesday for... the funeral. Thinking about the funeral made me turn over onto my side and pull the covers over my head. It was all being organized by my dad, who said he knew exactly what his brother would have wanted.

Nobody would even come to wake me up. They figured I would need my rest after I expained what my last encounter with my uncle resulted of. My mom held me for an hour before Dylan left and I finally got to bed. My dreams made things worse. I was turned into a vampire by Greyson and killed my family along with Dylan, Alice, Drake, and my friends from school. That's exactly what I needed. To be plagued by nightmares that were suddenly actually possible.

"I hope you don't plan on staying in bed all day." I flinched at the sound of Drake's voice.

"What are you doing in my room?" I practically squeaked.

"Making sure you get up."

"Why do I have to? Do you not remember that my uncle is freaking dead?" My voice grew harsher than I had tried to make it.

He pulled the covers off of my feet and yanked them away from me, leaving me cold,"I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want you sulking about it."

"Ever heard of the mourning period?" I jumped up and glared at him.

He stood tall and composed,"Yes, but you can't afford that with your life on the line. Or do you take back what you said last night?"

I frowned,"I should still deserve some time to get over this."

"That's why I'm not starting to train you just yet. now go downstairs and get something to eat. I'll know if you don't so don't even think about trying to pull a fast one."

I glared at him as he jumped out the window,"I don't care what you say."

Yet I got up anyways and made my way downstairs. It was fairly quiet, but I could hear my parents talking from the backyard. I went to the back door and listened to them.

"Have you decided if he'll be creamated?" My mom asked with a soft sniffle.

"Yeah, he probably would have wanted to be creamated and set off into the see." My dad sighed.

"This has to be hard on kimmy. I mean with the way she treated him."

I felt a sharp jab in my chest. Hearing that come from my mom pained me more than it would have from anyone. If I could go back and change it, I would. Drake was right though. Worrying over all of this wasn't going to help. I needed to come to terms with things before I could focus on learning to fight. If I could defend myself, so many peoples lives would be easier.

"You can do it, Kim," I cooed to myself,"Just focus on what's important."

What was important anymore? My best friend a vampire, My uncle dead, finding out I'm the descendant of an angel, and being guarded by a vampire. My life was turning into a nightmare. The most teenage girls had to worry about was boyfriends, hair, makeup, and homework. I had to worry about so much more. It was so unfair.

I moved away from the back door and went to the living room. tears rolled silently down my cheeks. I sat down slowly on the chair and and closed my eyes so the tears wouldn't fall that fast. A genle hand rested on my shoulder. I looked up and saw my mom smiling softly at me. My lip quivered as I breathed in slwoly through my nose.

"Hunny, why don't you go get some sun and air in the backyard. Darren and Kaila are waiting for you."

I looked back down at my feet and nodded. She helped me stand up and nudged me on my way to the backdoor. I steppe outside as my dad passed by me and into the house. I closed my eyes, hoping he didn't blame me for what happened. I shook that out of my mind and continued on my path. Darren and Kaila were running around and jumping, trying to catch flies. I sat on the step and watched them.