The Carnival

The next Day at school, I searched and prayed that Alice was there. I Looked all over and finally found her. She was sitting with her typical crowd and laughing. I stared in awe at her. She looked beautiful. I had never seen her look like this. Her hair had more volume, her skin like porcelain, her lips more pronounced and pinker. Her eyes were sharper too. They stood out more. she was dressed more confidently. She look over at me and I turned away slightly, directing my attention elsewhere.

A hand rested on my shoulder an di jumped,"We need to discuss things." Matthew spoke in my ear.

I turned to face him,"About what?"

He slipped a piece of papre in my pocket,"Don't be late."

"Alright," I nodded and then he took off.

"Het babe, what are you up too? How was your weekend?" Dylan said as he hugged me from behind.

"Standing around. It was okay, but I think I pissed off my uncle." My eyes raised to Alice at that moment and she gave me an evil smile.

I felt my stomach tie into knots. Her eyes were cold and her posture was like a snake. Poised and ready to attack at any moment. My heart ached and I almost passed out.

"Hey, you okay?" Dylan steadied me.

"Everything's okay. I think I just need some air or a glass of water."

I didn't know that everything really wasn't okay. Things around me were crumbling. It was like the ground beneath was just my imagination and once i realized that, I wouldn't be able to hold myself together.

Later that day, I rode home with Dylan and we gave practical goodbyes. A kiss or two and then he was off. I went in and looked around for my uncle. He wasn't anywhere that I could see, which meant probably in the bathroom. I flopped onto the couch and pulled the piece of paper that Matthew gave me out of my pocket.

Meet me tomorrow at the carnival near the ferris wheel. 9 o'clock.

"Thank you Mr. Bossy." I crumpled the note and stuffed it in my pockets.

A few minutes passed and my uncle still hadn't come out of the bathroom, so I went up and knocked on the door. No answer. I opened it and closed my eyes.

"Uncle Jim?"

No answer. I opened them and didn't see him. Thank god for that much. I went back stairs. wondering if he couldn't come and left a message on the machine. I pressed the button.

"Kim, I can't come over tonight. I have some things I need to take care of."

Then it clicked off. I sighed and layed back on the couch. That was a bummer. He must have still been mad at me. I turned on the TV and rested enough to fall asleep right there. The next day was the day my dad would come home. I got to stay home and go with them to pick him up. He was allowed to go to the carnival and so was I, even though I had missed school, which was the awesome thing about my parents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we got to the fair, I split from them to go meet up Matthew. I told my parents about how me and Dylan were now dating, and they believed I was going to meet up with him. Granted, I think both my parents and Dylan would be pissed if they knew the truth.

It took five minutes before I got to the ferris wheel. I checked the time on my phone. Eight forty-five. I looked around to see if I could see him. I couldn't, of course. I tapped my foot. Alice came into my vision and my eyes widened. She looked sweet and caring, like she'd always been before. she walked towards me and stopped in front of me. I swallowed hard and tried not to look as confused as i was.