Convinced To Ditch

I opened my eyes slowly and took in my surroundings. It was my room. Nothing was out of order. Did I really dream that? Kaila was asleep on my stomache. I looked around frantically for Darren. He was on my pillow. I nudged Kaila onto the bed and went to look for any sign of injuries on Darren. There were no bruises and he just looked up at me wondering what was wrong with me. I sighed and hugged him.

"Thank god it was just a dream."

He licked my face and I smiled. A soft breeze grazed my back making me shiver slightly. I looked over to the window. It was open. I walked over and saw that the sun was rising. I had slept straight through the evening and night. I shut the window and went to my bedroom door.

"Mom?" I called down.

"No," My Uncle's voice called,"She is still at the hospital with your father. I was sent to keep an eye on you."

I breathed a sigh of relief at the realization that he must have been the one who opened my window. I relaxed knowing it was really a dream, but wished the crash had been part of the dream/nightmare. I made my way down to see my Uncle. He was cooking and egg and ham burrito. I smiled and sat up on the counter.

"Your so nice making me breakfast."

"Who said this was for you?"

"So it isn't?" I gave my puppy dog face.

"No, it is. i just wanted to know what made you think it was."

I laughed as he handed to me,"Because of who you are."

He scoffed,"I am predictable aren't I?"

"Unbelievably so."

He looked at my wrist where the charm bracelt hung. It's only charm was a small silver wolf,"You like your gift?"

"Yeah, it's really cool," I smiled, but it faded rather quickly,"How's dad?"

"He's gonna be okay. Been doped up on pain meds for the whole morning though."

"When can I go see him?"

"After school. He's going to be sleeping right now."

"Do I have to go to school?"

"Yes. Your mom says, because this is your senior year, that you have to go and do your best. After school, i'll pick you up and drive you there."

"Cool." I picked at the tortilla.

"What's up?"

"Trouble sleeping."

"Ah, but I sense something else."

I laughed,"Yeah, kinda. I can't understand how you know when somethings up or if some one's lying."

"It runs in the family. That's what makes it an interestingly long game of poker between your dad and me. You heard your mom's stories about their courtship?"

"First, don't ever refer to it as courtship again. We don't say that anymore because it's so..." I trailed off, not wanting to offend him.

"Old?"

"Yeah. Sorry."

"It's alright. What's for second?"

"Uh, no?"

"Ah, I would have thought that they would have told you."

"Well, they didn't, so you can."

"Well, long story short. she kept refusing to date him and was far from annoyed at him. But inside she did have feelings for him. He could sense that and refused to give up on her. He threw all of his affection at her and eventually she just accepted him. They started dating and she fell hard for him."